Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: got my diff fixed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

some of you may know that the diff in my buggy has been stuffed for the last few meetings
so we got it out , gave it back to Freddy & he`s replaced a split cone,
packed/shimmed it all back up nice & tight again (45lbs-ish)

so now it`s back in it`s little cradle & ready to go back into the buggy :-) Yippy :-)

so i thought i`d take a quick snap of it to show you all
Oh & i fitted a brand new 530 X-Link O-ring chain on it now too :-)
i like to spoil my buggy i love her that much :-)

I reckon i`ll be buying a tran-x diff soon tho

anyways,,, next meeting is the day & night autocross at willowbank on Sat the 21st of this month & the very next day 22nd (sunday of course) the Big track Sprint meeting is on
so 2 days in a row of wicked buggy autocross action with my new diff & new chain

cant wait :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject: Re: got my diff fixed
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:06 am 
Bimmer Twinky

& now it`s back in & running again . Yay!!!

:-)

Last edited by TheMiniMan on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:13 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Looks good Matt.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:21 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Well done Matt, but when are you going to turbo-charge that thing??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:16 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

Nah,,, going turbo charged suzuki hayabusa mid engined 4x4 in the next frame buggy :-)

400hp,,, 4 wheel drive ,,, & 400 kgs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:41 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I'll drive!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:44 am 
848cc
848cc

You drive, il crap myself.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:27 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

ok,,, soooo,,,, after 3 diffs shredded now,,, 2 of freddys & one quaife
i`ve decided to rip a few "other" diffs out of stock & have a play

i`m currently in the middle of setting-up a salibury (Plate type) diff

it was looking like i may have had to creat a new (different design) cradle to fit the salisbury in
but i`ve just spent a few hours here at the shop this morning having a good look at things

it`s easier than i first thought,,, no need to change the cradle at all
2x 35mm go-kart axle bearings & their alloy mounts & we`re done,,, i can bolt it all back in after swapping the potty axles out for early splined Hardy spicer type assys :-) :-) :-)

it`s funny as because it looks like the circlip on the inner axle falls neatly & nicely inbetween the 2 go-kart axle bearings,,, the distance is right,,, the small gap between the bearings is just right for the circlip,,, it`s almost like it was meant to be :-)

I`ve bought a larger (44tooth) sprocket & machined it to fit the salisbury, i have our machine shop ready to make a mounting plate to bolt the new sprocket onto the diff
just sort another orange juice tin to cover it all & hold the oil in & we`re away

:-)

choofed i am :-)

i have new alloy front hubs now,,, new 4-pot alloy calipers.

i have new alloy body shocks (twin adjustments) with titanium springs coming

taking the huge alloy 30 litre fuel tank out, replacing it with a small alloy 2litre one, i can do away with piles of weight from all that fuel & extra pump etc.... i`m taking the wings & brackets off the thing,,, i`m cutting big holes everywhere through the space-frame,,, i have Dale (my metal fabricator) making up some chrome-molly rear trailing arms,,, fitting small go-kart discs & alloy Norton bike calipers onto the back of it instead of all the moke arms & cast iron drums & backing plates & shoes & cyls etc etc

i`m ordering some titanium drive flanges foir it soon & maight even fork-out for some titanium axles while i`m at it :-)

i will save (possibly) about 50kgs once it`s all done,,, add to that the zippy-er f/d ratio (Larger rear sprocket) ,,, also the new shock/spring package is half the weight

it`s almost like i`ll be taking one complete front & one complete rear wheel assy off the car in weight, plus removing so much other stuff ,,, 50kgs,,, can you even imagine what a loss of 50kgs will be like in this thing ???

add the sticky new Hoosier-daddy slicks & tighter diff & better dampners & stiffer springs & & &

Like the good ol Colin Chapman from Lotus used to say "If you want to go fast,,, just add less weight"

i heard a story from a few people years ago suggesting that Colin Chapman used to say that-> "design & build a very lightweight, high performance race car,,, designed with the best ideas,,, built with the best & lightest components & material,,,, then once it`s finished,,, take out half the materials" :-)

so, here`s a pick of a few diffs i have here, Pall type,,, & 2x salisbury types, with a few sprockets i`ve been playing with

so,,, once i`ve finished all that change-over stuff,,, diff, shocks, springs, wings, fuel tank, tyres etc etc etc,,, add the new 10"x8" slicks for the hillclimbs & street sprints

& when i go to the big tracks like Lakeside & Morgan Pk etc,,, i`ll just add big 13"x10" slicks tyo get the gearing tall enough for the top-end long straights :-) easy enough to do at the workshop before i go,,, then swap the 10" slicks back on the for the hillclimbs... easy-peasy

i`m sorry for the long winded explanation here, but i`m so happy it`s looking so easy to swap diffs,,, i`ve been pondering this swap-over for a long while now & feared that i`d have to make a new cradle,,, took me ages to get the first cradle right :-) & looks like i can still use it for this new diff so i`m really really stoked :-)

Now i`m REALLY hangin for another fangin :-)

i`m trying for an entry into the Cootha Classic hillclimb in sept, so please cross all your fingers & toes for me cause my first attempt there i was running 2nd outright all day sat & 3rd outright all day sunday,,, & that was running dirt tyres :-)

so now with much lighter weight,,, new shocks,,, new springs... new slicks,,, zippy-er & tighter diff etc,,, i`m just HANGIN FOR A FANGIN :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:22 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

More news on the diff swap

finally got the whole lot dummy`d up into the cradle, after mucking with spacers & bushes & circlip grooves etc for the support bearings

so were really happy with clearance & sprocket alignment, so all we had to do was make a plate to mount the sprocket to the diff flange,,, got that back from machine shop today (made 2x just in case) & then all we needed was a cover of some sort to keep all that lovely oily stuff inside,,,

The last cover we used on the old diff was an orange juice tin :-)

this time i needed a slightly smaller tin to suit the salisbury diff so after a bit of mucking around looking looking looking for something laying around the shop,,, nothing seemed to be close
so i went to woolys with my vernier calipers to see if i could find maybe a can of coffee or milo or tinned apricots or something, but nothing quite right... I ended up running out of time & had to go out for dinner tonight so i cut my search off early & went & had dinner with Marlys sister & mum, but as i was feeding our puppy (George)

i realised the can of PAL puppy food was pretty close :-)
so i gave him an extra serve to finish the can off,,, gave it a wash out & started cutting her open

how`s this for aR$e--> fits like a glove :-)

Now we have a nicely sealed slippery diff, a zippier sprocket ratio (larger rear sprocket) a cradle that fits sweetly ...& an R1 yamaha powered buggy hanging for it all to be fitted into.

Soooooo,,,, guess what i`ll be doing tomorow :-) yes fitting the whole diff assembly into the buggy, bolting up the axles ,,, cutting the new X-Link Oring chain to the right length ,,, fitting the link & filling her up with go-go juice & goin for a spin :-)

Buggy is Now Zippier & Grippier :-)
cheers people
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Who needs whizz bang cnc lathes and such when things like Pal dog food cans exist :) nice work!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:00 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

I ran the buggy at my dads race track sunday, after a quick visit to willowbank autocross track to help/watch Gaz & Darren Duffields son race

buggy ran great , heaps more grip, heaps more zip,,, very happy, nothing went wrong, nothing broke,,, nothing fell off the car,,, except my arms,,, it`s been a while between fangs in this thing & now with the tighter diff my arms really felt it :-)

time to go back to the gym & start doing weight lifting for my arms :-)

i hope to be back on a race track shortly, so i`ll play around a bit more with a few more things & do a service on the engine & maybe change shocks n springs & wheel-aligne it etc,,, so stay tuned, i`m back on track for some fun :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Pal-diff - love it Matt!! Well done sir!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:09 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

I have new shockys/springs package from My old mate Murray Coote, (MCA Landborough)
made specially for my buggy
just ordered full set of new Hoosier-daddy slicks :-)
can`t wait for Mt Cooth HillClimb now :-)
saturday only the 5th sept
be there or be square :-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:50 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

What's your thoughts Matt on the diff breakages? They're supposed to work for a much heavier car I would have thought your buggy being a featherweight would not trouble them.

Maybe the oil can centrifuges the oil away from the cones? Maybe?

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:40 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Nice one Matt. Are Murray and Josh going to get their car done in time for World Time Attack in October? I sure hope so.

M