Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:08 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Thanks!

Lets see what they look like at night!! :wink:

I will have a search and see if I can dig anything up on them, but I am sure I have tossed the packaging and I am not sure whether the lights have the branding on them.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:41 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi Forumites,

Small update on The Cat. I have been insanely busy with clients vehicles at the moment and doing some really creative stuff which has kept my interest keen.

Anyway, on with the update. Last we saw I had fitted up the driving lights and spaced them to equal the spacing on the front spoiler. I then went to the parts store and grabbed some 3-way waterproof connectors and fitted them off. A bit of soldering, split conduit and time later - all done and looks good. Being waterproof, hopefully there wont be any issues with the electrical side of things:

One of my clients came into the workshop one day with some front indicators he wanted to recess into the front on his vehicle. They were a round LED indicator, fully sealed and the interesting part was that they also included daytime running lights or parkers in the form of a halo ring around the perimeter of the fitting. This is what he dropped in:

They were about 65mm in diameter, so I could not help but see if they would fit in the front spoiler of the Mini. Low and behold:

The fitment was perfect - it was like they were literally made for the spoiler. In fact they were - they are direct replacement for Landrover 110 series indicators, and this is what I sized my apertures on, that very same fitting - how fortunate.

To make them fit properly I will have to put a back on the indicator recess to mount them - I don't know why I didn't design this into the spoiler in the beginning - oh well it will just be some 3mm nylon card that I will cut to size and epoxy in - not really a big deal!!

I decided to see how bright the lights were when mounted, so I hooked up the temp 12VDC and to me they looked very bright and clear. Indicators:

Halo's:

So now, I have halo rings around my headlights, indicators and driving lights. I think I will use the indicator ones for daytime running lights and the other two for parkers.

Next on the agenda is to prep the front spoiler for paint. This means cutting out back pieces for the indicators to mount to and epoxying them in, and also sanding down the joins where we cut n shut the spoiler to make it fit. Then its onto paint, which will be a major milestone finished as this means all the painting on the car will be finished - yee haa!!

Anyway, more later!

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

Awesome bro

Don't mention paint I'm scarred for life lol

Hope its not to long for some drive time

Cheers Hallsey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:31 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Ho ho!! PML bro! Yes paint, the very bane of my existence (well once anyway!)...

I need to keep pushing it along even if it is in small, infrequent steps!

So, yes paint is the next milestone - lets say in two weeks time it will all be ready.

Thanks for your support Steve.

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

A lot has happened in these past 2 months...not so much for me though. Unless I have a team of people, my car won't be at the muster which is disappointing. At this rate, I'll be lucky to finish it by the end of the year now...cost isn't the problem but I've lost a good month of solid work on it...good to see progress though tricky, can't wait to see it at the muster though. I'll be driving my sisters mini down, not a classic but a nice little example all the same!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:56 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Damn shame Phil!!

I was looking forward to seeing your car at the Muster!!
I know what you mean though about no time - between my customers cars, my '56 F100 and the importing I have available no time for El Gato - which is a bit sad really.

Just keep moving forward with it bro!

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi Gang,

Quick update! Trying to get at leats one thing done on The Cat every weekend, to slowly inch towards completion. I have not set a date yet, but with every job done is one less job to do.

Anyway, this weekend we decided to finish off the FMIC where it had been cut n shut to allow the driving lights to be placed closer to the centre-line of the car and sit correctly in the portals in the front spoiler.

While I worked on the Kombi (clients car) Cam came over and did some TIG work on the the FMIC. Cam's skills as an alloy TIG welder are superior to mine, so I let him take charge of the welding. The results were, as you would expect from everything Cam does - exceptional. He is a good fabricator/welder! Anyway, I will let the pics speak for themselves.

Passenger side:

Drivers side:

And the clearance for the drivings lights - just enough to allow for the lights and maintain max volume in the end tanks. Good job Cam:

Next week, I need the spray the FMIC satin black to match the grill and headlight surrounds and install the FMIC back on the car, install the lights and then prep the front spoiler ready for paint. Once the spoiler is painted, that will be a milestone well reached!

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

Good work buddy

That's the ticket ,a little bit each week sure stacks up to a lot

Keep the momentum going bro

Cheers Hallsey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:57 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Thanks Bro!!

Bought a can of satin black Krylon paint today so I will have it painted this weekend and back in.

Then its onto the front spoiler, and other bits.

Thanks for the support Steve!

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

Any progress? Only a few more weeks Tricky!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:55 pm 
848cc
848cc

Loving the updates mate...cant wait to see her done!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi Guys,

No, nothing much to type about really. I am doing a custom Kombi for a client which he wants to show so it is taking a lot of time and effort to get right - the client is very particular and the deadline for the show is looming

On top of that I am doing bits n pieces to my '56 F100 - getting the Jag IRS and IFS ready to be installed once there is a bit of space on the shop to put it on the chassis jig! Once that is ready, I will be spending a few hours aligning it all and doing the necessary chassis mods to make the Jag stuff work.

So The Cat is running in 3rd place ATM, which is a bit sad! But I will endeavor to get some work done this weekend and hopefully get the front spoiler ready for paint!

Cheers and stay tuned,
Tricky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Still think you'll get it done for the muster? Man I'd like a kombi...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:25 pm 
998cc
998cc

Nice work tricky! How fortunate with those fancy LED indicator/DRL/Halo lights fitting in the aperture.

Any pics of the f100??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:13 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

goodie wrote:
Bloody hell dickO , where ya been ? :shock: :lol: , it's been a while .

Busy doing stuff. Don't seem to get much time at the moment (as you will see by my speedy response).

Here to do another quick catch-up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125  Next