Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Another Twin-K-y Running
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:12 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_c9uDezrlE&feature=youtu.be

Just had this one come up from Melbourne... a while ago, we (over the phone) helped the guy (Aaron) build it, (over a few years) he ran it with distributor & Bike carbs for years, then sold it to a mini owners club of Qld member, who asked me to inject it, we got the car late last week, took all the old stuff off, made a loom, fitted all the bits & pieces, crank trigger wheel & all the sensors etc etc etc, fuel system upgrade etc etc etc & ran it up tonight with our original base map for this old ECU from about 12 years ago... & here`s it`s first start up... easy-peasy :-)

it`s off to the Dyno next week after we fit the BMW air box, which fits nicely with only a couple of small mods,,, nice long inlet tract with the original Long BMW ram tubes inside it.

& yes Ian ,,, yours is nearly a runner too :-)

& yes we have another 5x of them almost ready as well :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Last edited by TheMiniMan on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:13 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Great sound effects from the cameraman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:36 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Nice one Matt, you are the king.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Matt
Hope you are well and fighting fit. Can you please post a photo of the BMW air box fit when you get it done. I'm running 65mm ram tubes with two oval filters pulled over each pair of throttle bodies. I've never thought about the original air box fit. It just might be better!

Catch up soon
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:56 am 
Bimmer Twinky

Yeah Steve, we used the original 8V K100 (1000cc) type air-box on this one as it`s cute, neat, cheap, simple etc & has the correct length/size ram tubes inside.

we simply blocked off the original inlet hole one the bottom & cut a new one in the end. stuck on a cone type after-market filter & Bob`s your Aunty :-)
i`ll take some pics now & post them

the bonet close panel needs the vertical strut modified a little for some clearance but it`s only a tad of a trim/bend & all is sweet as a nut

it gives us really nice long inlet length (hard to achieve on a mini otherwise,,, it`s much quieter & it`s a very stable, sturdy air box, & easy to modify with a plastic welder.

& i have-to mention, This car has been running for quite a few years on bike carbys & distributor
& within 3 days work, we had it running pretty sweet on injection.

Great job & i`d like to thank my off-sider Archie & our tech-guru Dave (Captain) Kirk for all their help getting it where it is today in so little time. we are awesome, just ask us :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:24 am 
Bimmer Twinky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Matt
I'll track one down and have a play.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:41 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

Whats involved in setting up the head to fit on mini motor ??????

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:50 pm 
998cc
998cc

Noice. what is it sitting on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:34 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

TheMiniMan wrote:

You must have a new camera. Nice to see some clear shots. Keep up the good work

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:47 am 
1360cc
1360cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_c9uDezrlE&feature=youtu.be

Just had this one come up from Melbourne... a while ago, we (over the phone) helped the guy (Aaron) build it, (over a few years) he ran it with distributor & Bike carbs for years, then sold it to a mini owners club of Qld member, who asked me to inject it, we got the car late last week, took all the old stuff off, made a loom, fitted all the bits & pieces, crank trigger wheel & all the sensors etc etc etc, fuel system upgrade etc etc etc & ran it up tonight with our original base map for this old ECU from about 12 years ago... & here`s it`s first start up... easy-peasy :-)

it`s off to the Dyno next week after we fit the BMW air box, which fits nicely with only a couple of small mods,,, nice long inlet tract with the original Long BMW ram tubes inside it.

& yes Ian ,,, yours is nearly a runner too :-)

& yes we have another 5x of them almost ready as well :-)

Well done Matt...

[Osibisa! Criss-cross rhythm's that explode with happiness!]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:39 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

sorry Hobson, i missed your question for a little while

it`s ontop of a 1293cc, originally built by young Aaron in Stawell, outside Melbourne
we talked him through it over the phone :-) & he set-up a quad-bike-carbs package for it
now`s it`s up here in sunny Qld owned by another handsome fella :-) & we set-up all the injection system for him
purrs like a kitten now :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:41 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

What's involved with the head to make it fit ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:19 pm 
998cc
998cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
sorry Hobson, i missed your question for a little while

it`s ontop of a 1293cc, originally built by young Aaron in Stawell, outside Melbourne
we talked him through it over the phone :-) & he set-up a quad-bike-carbs package for it
now`s it`s up here in sunny Qld owned by another handsome fella :-) & we set-up all the injection system for him
purrs like a kitten now :-)

ooo nice, obviously injected is better within reason, but does it really save much fuel over a properly set up carb? Starting to think about cleaning up my 998, Might need to go have a chat to G.R. about the 202 head that was put on it by a PO, then get mini classic to tune the carb a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:48 am 
Bimmer Twinky

mini13k, we have a "Build-Guide" on CD available, but basically there`s a whole pile of fiddly little things to do to both the head & the eng-block, plus another pile of fiddly things to sort/make/modify
oil filler, oil feed, oil drains, breathers, plates, gaskets, pulleys, belt, tensioner, bolts nuts washers all to sort the front cam drives, plus making up an inlet & exhaust system what-ever way you choose to go,,, N/A carb(s) , N/A injection, turbo/super-charger, etc etc etc

Hobson, there are benefits with injection over carbs,,, & generally speaking we see an advantage in (edit) 4x areas-->
(1) neconomy (more fuel efficient) ,
(2) power delivery (very smooth sweet through-out the entire curve)
& of course, (3) torque/power (more power throughout the entire rev range),,, depending on how poorly the carbs & distributor were set-up in the first place.
& (4th),,, no need to "Tune" the car once it`s been set-up ,,, no more carby wear problems, no more ignition system failures/maintenance... set & forget,,, just add a bottle of injector cleaner every 6 months or so.

Last edited by TheMiniMan on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.