Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi guys,
Recently brought a 62 morris 850 that came with 2 1100 engines one complete other missing the head, im looking at installing it into my 850, just wondering if its a simple swap or more difficult the complete engine has a later model box on it but the incomplete engine has the older stle which will suit my mini would it be as simple as bolting the older gear box to the other engine and straight in?
Here some pics of them

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:59 pm 
Yay For Hay!

basically a straight swap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:41 pm 
998cc
998cc

OK theoretically like Simon says.... However.... The box attached to the headless engine is an original 850... which means its at least 51 years old. Maybe ... hopefully... its been rebuilt - but one would need to check. If your current 850 box works (at least you what sort of health its in) it may be a better bet than the unknown other..

The other box looks like a much later 4 synchro "poverty pack" unit. Can't see that clearly in the photo but it looks like one....

These have a much dodgier shift mechanism (some of which is missing) but is a much newer design and has maybe done less miles. Same deal though ..you need to check the condition before going too far....

So, yes, the swap is easier ..but you need to make sure its worth it first ..

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:26 am 
998cc
998cc

1071 S wrote:
OK theoretically like Simon says.... However.... The box attached to the headless engine is an original 850... which means its at least 51 years old. Maybe ... hopefully... its been rebuilt - but one would need to check. If your current 850 box works (at least you what sort of health its in) it may be a better bet than the unknown other..

The other box looks like a much later 4 synchro "poverty pack" unit. Can't see that clearly in the photo but it looks like one....

These have a much dodgier shift mechanism (some of which is missing) but is a much newer design and has maybe done less miles. Same deal though ..you need to check the condition before going too far....

So, yes, the swap is easier ..but you need to make sure its worth it first ..

Cheers, Ian

That's a quaint turn of phrase to describe the 4 syncro box with remote change, Ian. I'd take my remotes any day over the alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:47 am 
religious status
religious status

DavidE wrote:
That's a quaint turn of phrase to describe the 4 syncro box with remote change, Ian. I'd take my remotes any day over the alternative.

Is it the infamous `puddin' stirrer' direct shift, used on pov pack cars from 1969 to 1973? with the remote 22G1128 box?
These were a great box but the puddin' stirrer shift wore bad and there's no adjustment. I rebuilt one for a Moke recently.

pic of the setup-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:26 am 
998cc
998cc

This Gearbox Diff housing is badly Broken so you probably won't be using that.
That Power Unit is out of a morris 1100 anyway!!
Don't know why it is percieved to be a 4speed full syncro 22G1128
Its just a 3 syncro morris 1100 box, have a close look at the remote housing mounting point (rubber sandwich type) clearly visible, as is the morris 1100 front engine plate, if you enlarge the photo.