Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Micra heart
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:52 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Just laid down some cash for a Micra. Got the whole vehicle minus some panels and lights. Will pick it up next week and strip it quickly and then sell the shell for scrap I think.
Will update when I actually know something!

Post subject: Re: Micra heart
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:58 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Woo hoo!! Exciting huh?

Post up a list of what you've taken from the micra and I'll add anything else that I've used or that may be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:54 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Good job!
Make sure you rob everything that is and isn't bolted down from the micra - then go back with the grinder and rob some other things that may be useful too!
Label all the electrical plugs as you remove them too - no matter how good you are there's always something that'll make you go 'where's that go?'.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:27 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I went to the Nissan wreckers in Brooklyn.
They had a K11 that came in the other day that is complete.
The guy said that he will strip the front panels and headlights and I can have the rest of the car. Comes with a 3 month warranty which will mean I can test it in the body once I get it and make sure it's all working etc.
Just need to rent/steal/borrow a car trailer and pick it up next week.
Then I need to find a spot to hide it in until I have it stripped and then get rid of it.
I am wanting to turbo it at some point but might get it on the road NA and then work out how to attach the hairdryer.
Parts list fuzzy? Any surprising things you thought you wouldn't need but used?

David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

There's a lot of stuff that you wouldn't think of using when you start.
A couple I can think of :
Battery tray (it had a mount for the engine bay fuse box)
The hard line fuel pipes
The entire loom forward of the back of the drivers seat.
The pedal box.
Instrument panel was useful in confirming wiring
There was a small engine mount at the front that I used as the basis for the mount of one of the gearshift bars.

Probably others I can't remember.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:19 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

When I stripped the GTI I bought years ago, I took everything.
Brakes, calipers, wiring, lights, interior, and even got the angle grinder out and took the floor pan where the shifter goes, the engine mounts (ones welded to the car) and even the jack holder!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:23 am 
1098cc
1098cc

floss wrote:
I am wanting to turbo it at some point but might get it on the road NA and then work out how to attach the hairdryer.

I think if you try to add the turbo later you'll find things need some major reworking to get the turbo to fit. It's tight in there!

I'd either go straight for the turbo or build the frame and everything up with the turbo mounted then at the last engine install (there will be lots of them) take the turbo off and get it running n/a.

Edit: I just remembered you mentioning yours is a clubby van, so you'll have a bit more room than me, I think I'd still try to save that room for an intercooler or front mount radiator or both.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:57 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

it`s tight in a roundy with a blower :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:42 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Hey Matt,
What turbo are you using?

I have a clubby so have a little bit more room for a hair dryer hopefully. Super-turbo?

Would love to see more pic's of yours. You only tease us in your thread!
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:49 pm 
998cc
998cc

If we lose the distrubuter there will be a bit more too

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:46 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Organised a trailer and a mate with a tow car for today to collect the car. I rang the wreckers today and it's not ready. He will call me next week... Not really ideal but maybe now I can work out how to fit it and the mini in my garage...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:10 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

clovus wrote:
If we lose the distrubuter there will be a bit more too

L_Jonez conversion uses coil packs with megajolt? I think...

I'm not up on ignition stuff but Nistune has Dwell time, Dwell Duty Cycle and Idle/Deceleration charts as well as the timing map if that's any help...

Or there's a CGA3DE which has coilover plugs and a similar head to the extent you can I think use the CGA3DE head on a CG13 or put the coilpacks in the plug tubes of the CG13 head you may then be able to use the CGA ECU with or without Nistune to drive it? the CGA3DE never made it to Australia though.

I think the CGA3DE has timing teeth on the flywheel and a pickup in the gearbox for timing, but others have sorted it on the crank pulley.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:38 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Well Wednesday was an exciting day. I was supposed to take ownership of my Micra.
I finished night shift, drove over to a mates and he graciously swapped cars with me. I drove his Hilux over to another mates place and hooked up has trailer. I then drove to the other side of the city to pick up my little Micra. I had called ahead to the wreckers to let them know I was coming and make sure it was ready. I had been in a month earlier and we had agreed on a price for the entire car minus headlights and front panels.
I had meant to pick it up at least 3 other times but everytime the wrecker didn't have the car ready or said he was to busy.
I turned up with my borrow car and borrowed trailer, went into the place and the owner said "ohh, you. crap, can you come back on Saturday?" I told him that that isn't at all possible and he said that I might have to wait a little while. I had nothing better to do so I did. I waited about 1.5 hours and then they had it ready. In the end it still had all the lights, panels and so forth. I went to have a look and asked if we could drive it on the trailer. The guy laughed and said it won't start. I popped the hood and it was missing the Dizzy and some other bits. I went in to see the wrecker guy and explained our deal. He then pointed out that he can sell the dizzy and throttle body for 150 bucks each and the rest of it goes to the scrapper. I explained that thats all well and good but OUR deal was for a running car and all the stuff under the hood. He had been having a screaming match on the phone while I was waiting and said he wasn't in the mood for this and started getting shirty. I just said that we had a deal and I had paid him a deposit. He slapped 100 bucks on the bench and said "take the car or take your deposit back!" I was a little shocked but pretty annoyed. I picked up my deposit, turned around and walked out. That place is a joke, what a waste of time and effort. I am back to square one now and hope to never need to go to that joint again.

On a lighter note, I am waiting to hear back on the welding course. I worked out a way to do it around my shift work (I work 2 days, 2 nights and 4 off so it rotates).
D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:53 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

That really blows - I've had similar stuff happen before.
Don't let it put you off building something though.

Still thinking micra or does this mean you can consider other things still?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:23 pm 
Yay For Hay!

watching this thread, I was worried something like that would happen... I'm glad it was only a small deposit you nearly lost, wreckers aren't known for being scrupulous

Is there any reason you're not considering a 4EFE Starlet? If the Micra is hard to find, there are heaps of starlets sitting around, a guy I do motorkhanas with bought one with 6 months NSW rego for $400, I drive past another one in a farmyard every morning etc.