Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:02 am 
1098cc
1098cc

hey guys i thought i'd take pics of fitting some knox auto carpets for ya'll and make a step by step guide.
the carpets themselves arnt the best but for $136 they arnt that bad. much better then the mini sport "carpets" which are actually over priced speakerbox material.

step 1: remove the front seats and seatbelts
step 2: get the rear in and make sure its a decent fit before you go cutting stuff up
step 3: ok you'll notice that this thing gets in the way. cut a straight line paralel to where it is and when you have the depth right then cut a horizontal line so that the carpet fit's snug around it. two little cuts at the end of your horizontal line will let it sit well around themetal.
step 4: once you finish that last step you can get a better idea of how the carpet is sitting.
step 5: now you need to cut around the handbrake, start by making a horizontal incision across the base so you can pull the carpet over the handle then trim around it to fit, making sure the carpet doesnt muck around with the handbrake operation at all
step 8: i noticed this gathering while fitting, just pinch it and cut it out.
step 9: now we are going to trim the sills by removing the excess overhang. my method is marking out with a pen then removing by blade. you can glue it in place before you do this if you want to.
step 10: in this car (my sisters 850) we have use'd an aero grade sound deadner type material, so first off i stick that down with "3m super 74 foam fast adheasive" its great stuff, expensive but you get what you pay for.
step 11: ok once thats done its time to get the carpet down. when laying carpet :lol: work it half at a time spraying both surface areas. start from the center and work out towards the edges following all contours
step 12: make sure you dont forget about the seatbelt mounts. find out where the hole is and cut a cross in the backing of the carpet. then stick something in from the plush side ( i use a rachet) and trim around it with a blade. same thing with the center buckles
step 13: it helps when you dont leave your blade underneath stuck on carpet..... so tie it to your wrist
step 14: its time for the front inner wheel arch whatever they are called. cut up some extra capet ruffly to size, making sure you have atleat one right angle. because thats the part which goes along the dash and the a pillar
step 15: glue the a pillar first then work your way back following the contour as much as you can, trim anything that gathers up around the edges and repeat on the otherside
step 16: ok now here is the real PITA, the front section. it all comes down to how you want your end product to turn out. i removed the gas pedal, steering colum and dip switch. first things first, make sure stuff lines up, then while its in place feel around for the starter button, bolts for the pedal etc and cut a straight line across them and once they are lined up then follow the same route for the seatbelt mounts.
also for the steering colum if you want a good finish when you cut out a circle for it and burn around the edgeswith a lighter so that it doesnt come apart and wrap around your colum.
step 17: now comes the glueing which is the same as before, half and half
step 18: trim all excess off etc as before and fitt the rubbers back on. fitt seats back (took me 3 hours to get the seats back in !!! argh. hence why less pics towards the end....i was getting very over it.
ok so my conclusion is, knox auto carpets arnt bad but its nothing like newton commercial carpets. its much easier to fit carpets to a bare shell.
like before any questions just ask
cheers
geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:23 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Great Work Mate and thanks for this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:00 pm 
998cc
998cc

thank's that was great I have carpet ready to put down for my ute from Knox, just one question what's so good about newton commercial carpets?

4EFTE in a mini ute (all slowly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:12 pm 
998cc
998cc

To the how too section moderators..... Do it, just do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:38 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Hot diggitty thats good. Thanks for putting all that together :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:15 pm 
Postally Verbose
Postally Verbose

Mini Mike wrote:
To the how too section moderators..... Do it, just do it.

We're working on it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:35 pm 
998cc
998cc

i was going to do that for the how to section aswel, but some one beat me to it, 8)

i was trying to make a stencil but you need maths to work out all the geometry, its one thing answering the maths question but its another writing the maths question and making sure you dont get different answers each time,

oh and i must say thats an awsome job,

http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

HPDesign wrote:
................what's so good about newton commercial carpets?

They come in original colours for british made minis and fit like a glove

They are very well made compared to some local (adelaide) carpet manufacturers that I have dealt with.

I have never seen Newton Comm's moulded carpets but the 14 peice one is fantastic. Thats what I am going to be putting into my austin.

Send them an email and get them to send you out a carpet sample and catalogue and see what you think

www.newtoncomm.co.uk

I know of a few people with newton commercial products including carpets and have only heard good reports.

Hope that helps
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:57 am 
1098cc
1098cc

newton commercial are heritage listed aftermarket suppliers, and you cant get heritage listing for nothing so you can tell how good they are, whenever you read resto's in mini world they always have newton commercial trims because they are really good.
and about making a stencil, mini's arnt built to mm standards, so everyone is differnt, so its a bit hard making stencils.
cheers guys, im glad you enjoyed it. next up is how to make old school dash's for single and triple binicle morris's

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:41 am 
1098cc
1098cc

1970 mini K wrote:
step 10:
in this car (my sisters 850) we have use'd an aero grade sound deadner type material,

geoff

Whats that aero grade sound deadener? How effective is it? How much and where from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:51 am 
1098cc
1098cc

lol well its pretty good, costs around $30 a sheet which is 1500 x 1500 and you can get it from a place in melbourne called vyfab. its used in light aeroplanes and boats. its lightweight and pretty effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

Has anyone got the newton commercial carpet?

how much did it cost to get it delivered.

Or where are some good places to get the carpet in AUS, even Sydney?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:37 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

check the newton commercial site. my memory's a bit $h!t but i think its around 65 pounds to post.
they have no suppliers in aus because the demand isnt there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:16 am 
998cc
998cc

what sort of carpet is it? cause it looks kinda fluffy...is it plush pile?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:22 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

yup plush. not loop or super plush, just plush