Ausmini
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:53 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi I am in the process of making a mini van trailer and was wanting to know what is the best way of doing the back subframe just a normal mini subframe completely stripped. Also what is the best way of mounting the bar that supports the trailer to the car and jockey wheel to the trailer. How best to weld it to the trailer under the trailer through the inside of it to the subframe mounts what have others done to there van trailers kind regards.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:16 pm 
998cc
998cc

I would be discussing your ideas with RMS before wasting too much time/effort on fabrication.

I have just had some mods done to my box trailer by an accredited trailer manufacturer where he advised that RMS (noting you are in NSW) are cracking down on "customised" trailers and requiring all sorts of "certification" of design and components before a trailer can be registered...

That said my next door neighbour made a great "fire" trailer by mounting a couple of old home heating oil containers onto a Morris 1100 rear subframe and associated suspension.... The subframe was joined to the towing socket by a couple of scaffolding poles. All for strictly off-road/non public road use :)

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:46 pm 
848cc
848cc

From what I've read it's very difficult to build your own trailer now, it needs to be to an engineered design. There are some dodgy ways people are getting around it though.

Anyway apparently the mini rear suspension is a lot heavier than the alternatives but I've never looked into the actual weights. When being towed by a mini you don't want any unnecessary weight.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:15 am 
998cc
998cc

Regardless of which state you are in the Rules are the same.
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/sites ... less_0.pdf
However the actual rego requirements do differ from state to state.
Wade through the red tape at your leisure. :-)