Ausmini
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:59 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I've put a new set of rockers on my new motor, and there is oil spurting out of the shaft ends, mostly the radiator end - there is a plug in it, but it doesn't seem to be doing its job.

Oil is coming through the shaft and out through the rockers, but to me, I don't think there should be any coming out the end of the shaft

Am I right? I guess the best solution is to either get a new shaft or tap the ends and install a grub screw?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:22 am 
religious status
religious status

Probably made in the well known Eastern country where they dgaf.
Some of the aftermarket shafts are hardened, check before you bugger the drill or tap.
Edit
I would drill one steel plug out, punch the other end one out, then turn a couple of solid brass plugs up and punch them in. Half a thou or so interference fit.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 1:56 pm 
Yay For Hay!

drmini in aust wrote:
I would drill one steel plug out, punch the other end one out, then turn a couple of solid brass plugs up and punch them in. Half a thou or so interference fit.

Thanks Kev - I woke up with this thought in my head too

I did a bit of reading about tapping hardened steel last night, I don't think I'd have much luck.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:50 pm 
Yay For Hay!

just coming back to this one.. I did as Kev said - machined up brass plugs and pressed them in

Attachment:
rocker-plug-new-vs-old.jpg

Attachment:
new-plug-installed.jpg

here's the old plug, I don't see how anyone could ever think it was a good idea to press a splined plug like this into a hardened shaft and expect it to seal. It's obviously very soft metal as well, the two marks on the thinner part were done by me with a stanley knife blade

Attachment:
rocker-plug-old1.jpg

Attachment:
rocker-plug-old2.jpg

Attachment:
rocker-plug-old3.jpg

For reference, it's a thick walled rocker shaft on a set of minispares 1.5:1 roller rockers. They're unused, but I don't know how old they are - I bought them at a clearing sale from a workshop that closed down in Melb.

I spoke to Lindsday today and he said "no-one ever checks that" - I probably do a few weird things that no-one else does. In this case, before I start a new engine, I use a pressurised tank to put oil through the engine through the oil pressure gauge outlet hole. It basically means I have oil pressure in the engine before even fitting a starter motor, I keep putting oil into it until it comes out through the rockers - it's just a little ritual I have. This time around, oil came out the end of the shaft before it came out through the rocker bearings. Not sure why, but I didn't think much of it, until I took the rocker cover off while the engine was running (to put my stethoscope against each of the rocker posts; one was making too much noise - it was #4 exhaust). Anyway - as I said in my first post, a lot (shitloads) of oil was coming out of the ends of the shaft - I didn't take a picture because it was pumping so much out, and obviously keeping it running was making a huge mess!

If you want to see if you have the same issue, but you're scared of running your engine without the rocker cover on, don't be - ordinarily it doesn't make much of a mess so long as you just let it idle, revving is messy - and it looks really cool if point a timing light at the rockers and valves while they're doing their thing

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:43 am 
998cc
998cc

Hi simon - good find and fix. Is your pressurized tank just something like a weed sprayer you can pump? (No idea of oil impact on viton and probably not appreciated the next time wife goes to put some thrive on the indoor plants!) Re the noise at Number 4 - some rocker covers are a very tight fit with the high lift - especially if you also have to shim the posts for best geometry
Hope the motor is going well

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:30 pm 
Yay For Hay!

FNQ wrote:
Hi simon - good find and fix. Is your pressurized tank just something like a weed sprayer you can pump?

no, it's a ~1l steel degreaser sprayer - I fill it with oil then put 100psi of air on top, connects to the block with push-in air fittings and some 3mm high pressure air hose. Google "vaper spot sprayer". My guru used to loan me his, then I made my own, I wouldn't be without it.

FNQ wrote:
Re the noise at Number 4 - some rocker covers are a very tight fit with the high lift - especially if you also have to shim the posts for best geometry
Hope the motor is going well

nah, just a bit too much clearance, even though I went over it a few times - I ground out the rocker cover a long time ago for 1.3:1 rollers

The motor is really good, I did a motorkhana yesterday, it's just what I wanted it to be