Ausmini
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 am 
1275cc
1275cc

In this case if the seller says the car was destroyed 20 years ago, then I guess the shell can be confirmed as dead.

However it may not always be the case with loose plates. What if the car was still out there sans plate?

I know of one car that's a genuine S with the right numbers on the firewall and shroud, but is missing the build plate. Allegedly person X removed the plate from the car years before for some unknown reason, and after a few owners person Y now owns the car. Unfortunately Person X refuses to give or sell the plate to Person Y...

Cheers,

1966 Austin Mini
1965 Morris Mini Traveller
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:26 am 
998cc
998cc

low'n blown wrote:
Panthersteve wrote:
owen1975richard wrote:
So I would strongly suggest not proceeding with the purchase as this is completely illegal.

Hi

I am curious to know why the sale of this item is illegal. I was under the impression that as an "ID plate" it was ok, but if it was from a later car with a compliance plate then that was a big no no.

Who knows the "facts" :?:

Steve

Steve its not illegal to sell or own the plate. I was actually bidding on it for a reason. I have collected a few ID plates over the years from S's and Coopers. I want to have them affixed to pewter beer mugs to put into my "mini bar" that is going into the extension in my house. I just wasnt prepared to pay that much for it to go on a beer mug. To answer your question it is only illegal if you try to affix that plate to another shell, and pass that vehicle off as having those numbers. I worked as a cop for the crime unit up here, and stolen vehicles was one of the things the crime unit was often involved with. G.

Incidently the criminal code allows for 14yr sentence for this offence. Hope the purchaser thinks wisely

Perhaps if a dead register was created, you could start it by listing the plates you have on/for your beer mugs :?: This would kick start the list with a few instantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:19 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

owen1975richard wrote:
low'n blown wrote:
Panthersteve wrote:
owen1975richard wrote:
So I would strongly suggest not proceeding with the purchase as this is completely illegal.

Hi

I am curious to know why the sale of this item is illegal. I was under the impression that as an "ID plate" it was ok, but if it was from a later car with a compliance plate then that was a big no no.

Steve

Steve its not illegal to sell or own the plate. I was actually bidding on it for a reason. I have collected a few ID plates over the years from S's and Coopers. I want to have them affixed to pewter beer mugs to put into my "mini bar" that is going into the extension in my house. I just wasnt prepared to pay that much for it to go on a beer mug. To answer your question it is only illegal if you try to affix that plate to another shell, and pass that vehicle off as having those numbers. I worked as a cop for the crime unit up here, and stolen vehicles was one of the things the crime unit was often involved with. G.

Incidently the criminal code allows for 14yr sentence for this offence. Hope the purchaser thinks wisely

Perhaps if a dead register was created, you could start it by listing the plates you have on/for your beer mugs :?: This would kick start the list with a few instantly.

LOL cool. Funny if someone tried to steal the details of those cars. "Your worship I would like to provide evidence of such falsities. If you could be so kind as to pass me a corona I will present my evidence in chief."

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:57 pm 
998cc
998cc

low'n blown wrote:
owen1975richard wrote:
low'n blown wrote:
Panthersteve wrote:
owen1975richard wrote:

Hi

Steve

LOL cool. Funny if someone tried to steal the details of those cars. "Your worship I would like to provide evidence of such falsities. If you could be so kind as to pass me a corona I will present my evidence in chief."

:lol:

You could always ring the owner of the car and sell them the matching factory beer mug - I am sure they were a factory accessory!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

So what happens a car was reshelled using a bmc/ leyland shell in the 60's ,70's it's still falsifing the real thing or is that acceptable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:51 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

So what about if youve got a shitter of a 1970 cooper s that is full of rust and has gone past its life as a fixable car but you have got a 1970 mini k shell. Can you transfer the plates over and parts or is that illegal. Or what if you have the same rusty "S" and you have a genuine 1970 "S" but missing plates can you transfer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 pm 
998cc
998cc

Well the illegalities certainly didn't stop a certain fake cooper s being sold recently and it had a proper cooper s I.D plate on a 850 shell.!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

If a Cooper s was reshelled using a factory replacement shell then it should have been re-registered with the new shells identity.

A Cooper s is a Cooper s only if the body is the original body if the car is reshelled into a deluxe then the car is a deluxe with Cooper s parts attached.
A Cooper s that has been totally stripped and re-fitted with all the parts from a mini 850 is still a Cooper s. It is the body of the car that identifies the car.

Swapping the plate from one car to another is dishonest and intentionally misleading especially if you are also re-stamping body numbers.
I have no issue with replicas as long as they are openly identified as replicas, I just get pissed off when people try and pass off a fake or replica as a real car.
To put it bluntly if your show winning concourse Cooper s has been reshelled for whatever reason then all you have is a nice collection of bolt on Cooper s parts and a very good mini body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:11 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

CARTER_GT wrote:
So what about if youve got a shitter of a 1970 cooper s that is full of rust and has gone past its life as a fixable car but you have got a 1970 mini k shell. Can you transfer the plates over and parts or is that illegal. Or what if you have the same rusty "S" and you have a genuine 1970 "S" but missing plates can you transfer

Legally no to either. You cannot change the identity of a vehicle. As far as race cars go many of them went through new shells and kept the numbers. The reason for this is the log book. A new shell means a new log book, so racers would just restamp the numbers on a new shell, and often didnt worry about swapping over a plate. In racing times not an issue although understandably one may question where these "new" shells came from. Try to pass those off as the original shell now and get it registered and you may find some issues. A little off topic but food for thought.

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:14 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I don't have a problem saying the the car is reshelled I have a future early clubby project that was done using a new leyland shell between 72 & 81 all i have to identify it is PA 0**
that will mean nothing to the rta or the blueslip man try and explain that it is a parts and accessories body to them, if i put my rusty 73 mini tag on it makes rego easier but is illegal between a rock and a hard place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:38 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

For anyone that missed it:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0691236742

I did report it to Ebay, but i think it was a day or two before it ended - so i dont think they reviewed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:44 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

Bubbacluby wrote:
For anyone that missed it:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0691236742

I did report it to Ebay, but i think it was a day or two before it ended - so i dont think they reviewed it.

I also reported it to Ebay when it was first listed. They usually take them down within a couple of days but not this time. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:55 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

so what if you have a rusty Cooper S and replace front quarter panels, front valence, a-panels, inner and outer sills, firewall, windscreen surround, floors, boot floor, boot lid, roof, rear valence, rear quarter panels and bonnet?

:P

'a mini is for life, not just for christmas!'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:04 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

superSeven wrote:
so what if you have a rusty Cooper S and replace front quarter panels, front valence, a-panels, inner and outer sills, firewall, windscreen surround, floors, boot floor, boot lid, roof, rear valence, rear quarter panels and bonnet?

:P

I will tell you when I am finished. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

I think that its okay to reshell a car as long as its not sold as a genuine Cooper S. If sold the description should state that it is a 'Reshelled Cooper S'. Is it wrong to reshell a deluxe with another deluxe shell? I speak from experience with buying a reshelled Cooper S, i dont have a problem with it. I don't classify it as a genuine cooper s as the engine is an 1100S, and it doesnt have the original cooper s accessories. Thats my 5 cents worth.........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next