Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 am 
998cc
998cc

winabbey wrote:
ben73 wrote:
Which cars actually came with underbonnet insulation fitted when new?

For Australian round-nose Mini production (i.e. excluding imported cars) the fiberglass under-bonnet insulation pad (part #24A959) was fitted to the Cooper S only according to the parts books. There is no mention of it being a production part for the Cooper. If anyone has information to challenge that then please feel free to comment.

For the Clubman model a similar construction but different dimension insulation pad (Australian part #HYB3746, based on UK part #CZH861) was fitted to the Clubman GT from initial production but deleted at car number 1200, according to Service Liaison Summary #234 dated 25 August 1972.

Attachment:
SLS 234 p1 subset.jpg

68Rusty wrote:
... do you think I should glue back on as is or apply a coat of matt black spray paint or something else to strengthen it and protect it going forward??

I understand your dilemma regarding originality versus practicality. The original blanket in my 1970 Cooper S is in a slightly worse shape than yours. I was (and still am) tempted to glue it back so the car is original but I think it will probably detract rather than enhance the appearance. If you want to freshen up your blanket I can tell you the original specification of the pad as per the BMC engineering drawing is fibreglass matting coated with "black neoprene paint", whatever that is. :?

A google search suggest Plasti Dip may be a suitable spray product to repair the mat. Apparently it is heat resistant to 200 degrees F (93 degrees C) so should be OK for this application.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/pla ... 53850.html

https://www.plastidip.net.au/plasti-dip
Thanks, I might get some plasti dip to try some tests with.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Slot car couch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:53 am 
1360cc
1360cc

For those interested in this topic it was discussed some time ago. You can see half way through I posted details of the material taken from the BMC engineering drawing for the blanket. There's a few other pics as well.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70253

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Below is a reply from a a good friend of mine, John Parnell from the UK and the author of "Original Mini Cooper and Cooper S", to a question i asked about the under bonnet material when I was looking to replace the stuff on my 1965 English Morris Cooper S back in 2004.

"The original bonnet sound deadening was made of a single moulded fibreglass panel. It covered the ribs and was charcoal grey in colour. They were glued in place, fragile to remove and the fibres will irritate the skin if gloves are not used. Because the fibres can separate and become airborne, you are also advised to use a mask when dealing with second hand items made of this material. It's nasty stuff, which is why its use was banned years ago. These original panels always looked dirty and slightly scruffy and in time became more so.

No one makes an absolute substitute. The nearest you can do is take a single piece of felt, cut it to shape and spray it matt black on the exposed side. Next, cut out infill sections for the four "triangles" so that they are level with the ribs (glue them in place), then cover the whole area with your large sheet of black painted felt, again, gluing everything in place, the unpainted side being the glued surface leaving the black surface to view. It's not perfect and you may have to experiment with different thicknesses of felt, checking that it does not foul the carburettor dash pots or air cleaners."

Cheers
John

1968 MG Midget

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

miniresto wrote:
Below is a reply from a a good friend of mine, John Parnell from the UK and the author of "Original Mini Cooper and Cooper S", to a question i asked about the under bonnet material when I was looking to replace the stuff on my 1965 English Morris Cooper S back in 2004.

"The original bonnet sound deadening was made of a single moulded fibreglass panel............"

Cheers
John

That is interesting from John Parnell. At least his suggested alternative isn't much different to what many have done.
All minis benefit from bonnet soundproofing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

Any update on this ... ala how did the plastidip perform on your test? :D
I'm wondering about using black VHT spray paint to seal the original under bonnet insulation on mine??