Ausmini
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Indicator problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:56 pm 
848cc
848cc

Just discovered that the passenger side indicators are working on my Mk 2 S, but the driver's side aren't. What is the likely problem/solution?

Post subject: Re: Indicator problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:05 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

If it's both front and rear then I would be looking for a bad connection on the indicator stalk bullet connector plug.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks. Where will I find the connector bullet you refer to? Have been fiddling around at the back of the speedo. Any chance I could have dislodged a relevant wire there?

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Next to the steering column. Just follow the wiring loom coming out of the indicator stalk. The old bullet connectors probably have a high resistance connection due to corrosion.

Attachment:
MK2 S indicator switch wiring.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks again, think it's the green/white wire I should be looking for? If there is a bad earth at the dashboard indicator light would that also cause both the driver's side indicators to fail to operate?

On a separate, but related note, both gauges (water temp, oil pressure) fail to light when lights are switched on. No problem with the lights in the speedo and fuel gauge. Have replaced the bulbs, but still no joy. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:40 pm 
religious status
religious status

Check gauge bodies are well grounded to the speedo housing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

pdpsing wrote:
Thanks again, think it's the green/white wire I should be looking for? If there is a bad earth at the dashboard indicator light would that also cause both the driver's side indicators to fail to operate?

On a separate, but related note, both gauges (water temp, oil pressure) fail to light when lights are switched on. No problem with the lights in the speedo and fuel gauge. Have replaced the bulbs, but still no joy. Any ideas?

Yes Green/White should be drivers side indicators

The dash indiator globes are inline and are not earthed themselves. The reason the dash indicator globe is not lighting up is because there is either no power to the circuit or no circuit to earth.

Might be time to have a look at the wiring diagram, trace the wires and break out the multimeter.

Attachment:
MK2 S wiring diagram.jpg

Attachment:
MK2 S wiring legend.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

Update on the indicator problem. Changed the bullet connection, still no joy. However the rear driver's side indicator does glow (very dull), but not flash, as does the panel light (also very dull). The driver's side front doesn't do anything. Interestingly, when the passenger side indicator is activated, everything works well for that side. Except that very occasionally instead of the passenger side panel light flashing, the driver's side glows (not flashes) briefly before switching back to the correct side. Any ideas/solutions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:40 pm 
998cc
998cc

pdpsing wrote:
Update on the indicator problem. Changed the bullet connection, still no joy. However the rear driver's side indicator does glow (very dull), but not flash, as does the panel light (also very dull). The driver's side front doesn't do anything. Interestingly, when the passenger side indicator is activated, everything works well for that side. Except that very occasionally instead of the passenger side panel light flashing, the driver's side glows (not flashes) briefly before switching back to the correct side. Any ideas/solutions?

Install a temporary earth to your rh side rear light cluster and see if things improve.

Last edited by DavidE on Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

Have a read of my post dated Nov04 2020 (Indicator Issues). I just had a quick read of my post and there are similarities.
My problem ended up being a broken connection on the positive feed to the flasher.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Fritzie, will take a look

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

Update on the indicator problem, now resolved. Issue was a burnt front indicator globe. Moral of the story being for me to look for the obvious next time rather than assume something more sinister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:31 am 
848cc
848cc

Yesterday I was assisting in fitting a new loom into an 850. All went well until we were almost finished when testing the indicators which were working fine. With the indicators working we then turned on the lights resulting with the RHS parking light going brighter and the indicator going very dim. LHS ok. Any thoughts. Thanks Jim.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:18 am 
998cc
998cc

jimb wrote:
Yesterday I was assisting in fitting a new loom into an 850. All went well until we were almost finished when testing the indicators which were working fine. With the indicators working we then turned on the lights resulting with the RHS parking light going brighter and the indicator going very dim. LHS ok. Any thoughts. Thanks Jim.

Install a temporary earth from the light fixture at the RHS rear. Run it from the fixture to the battery earth and check for results.