Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

G'day, I've got an eBay aluminium 3 core radiator with a 22x1.5mm threaded drain in the bottom and I would like to put a switch in it to turn a thermo fan on and off. I think on some cars this may be standard, and minisport sell a switch for this as well. The question is what temp range is ideal, and would this need to be different because the switch is in the lower cooler portion of the radiator. thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:01 pm 
Yay For Hay!

My thoughts.. the temperature range doesn't really make a lot of difference, so long as the fan comes on at a temperature higher than the thermostat's opening temperature, and turns off at some point lower than that. If the on and off temperatures are close together then it'll keep turning on and off and be annoying, and a decent gap between them means it stays on for a reasonable amount of time to bring the temperature down for all of the water in the system.. obviously once the thermostat shuts, if the fan keeps running its only cooling what is in the radiator, then the thermostat opens again and a rush of cool water flows through the motor. You could probably jump up and down and say that "thermal shock will do damage and blah blah" but yeah, whatever..

You'd expect that Rover put some thought into it and decided that turning on at 92 would be sensible, and turning off at 82 (being the standard thermostat closing temperature) would be the right thing to do.. I'd copy them. There is a cheap kit from Jaycar you can get that drives a fan with adjustable temperatures

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:05 pm 
998cc
998cc

It can be somewhat vehicle specific and depends on the running temp.
To get technical the fan needs to be off while there is air flowing through the rad so highway and general driving over 50 or 60ish, but comes on to cool when at lower speeds, around town stop start etc.
On at 92 and off at 82 sounds about right but will depend 9n the normal runni g temp of your car. If you have an 82 Tstat then all should be good.
One thing to bear in mind is that the fans/switches were designed for front mounted rads.
And you will need to wire it via a relay so you could put an on/off switch on the dash to overide the sensor and turn the fan on. A 3 way centre off switch would give you complete overide if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:51 am 
848cc
848cc

I've fitted a thermo fan on the inside of the guard, and used a Davies Craig thermo fan controller unit. Also using the eBay aluminium radiator.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0 ... UTF8&psc=1

It has all the necessary relays, etc as well as a probe that sits between the fins of the radiator. Wire it up, set the on temp and away you go. Just make sure that when you wire it, the fan is pulling air through the radiator from inside the engine bay, not blowing air into the bay.

Saves trying to add a separate temp sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

That's a neat solution Gambo, I may look at one of those. Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:21 am 
848cc
848cc

Do you have any pics of how your fan is set up? Just getting some ideas together. I cut the louvres out to make some more room around the radiator but not sure if I want to mount it to the radiator (not sure there’s room) or just put it in the guard area, it wouldn’t be super efficient if not shrouded to the radiator I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:34 am 
998cc
998cc

Mounting it to the radiator will cause a large hot spot in the middle where the motor is, and will cause overheating. there needs to be some space between the fan and the rad for equal air flow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

hpal wrote:
Do you have any pics of how your fan is set up? Just getting some ideas together. I cut the louvres out to make some more room around the radiator but not sure if I want to mount it to the radiator (not sure there’s room) or just put it in the guard area, it wouldn’t be super efficient if not shrouded to the radiator I guess.

Here you go. Fan was just a $30 10" eBay special like this one - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-10-inch- ... 4b8b4cb858

This isn't for primary cooling, it's an additional that pulls air through the radiator when I'm not moving , so shrouding isn't as important. I could go to through the hassle of making a shroud, but this works just fine for me.

Attachment:
fan.jpg

Attachment:
cont.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:35 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

A 10" Spal slimline fan is a perfect fit between the radiator and the wheel well, I run one as the only fan on my engine converted deluxe, and have done for the last 5 years or so.