Ausmini
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Spare Wheel Well
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:47 am 
998cc
998cc

I’m wanting to replace the rusting spare wheel well on my 1970 Mk2 Aussie Cooper S. The original has two raised ribs in the centre of it running north-south, however the weld in replacement repair panel that Minisport.au sell I CMS1010 is flat on its base with no raised ribs. Is there an original type panel available? If not how have others got around this issue, or have you just gone with the replacement and deleted the original raised ribs?

1978 Rover SD1 V8 (4.6)
1996 Land Rover Discovery V8 (4.0)

Post subject: Re: Spare Wheel Well
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

I am yet to address that problem with mine. A panel beater mate suggested a possibility was cutting out the rib section area (if its not rusty - mine isn't) and grafting that into the replacement panel, then weld panel in car. Or in doing so in a different order to give the least distortion. He also suggested possibly using a bead roller with appropriate wheels. Not up to this stage yet, so haven't gone any further.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:07 pm 
998cc
998cc

make a wood moulid the depth of the swage then use use a rounded off brikies bolster to punch into the panel for the swages. If you know how to block a panel go along the swage line with the ball of a ball pein hammer ,this will stretch the metal and make the swages easier to do. Some hammer and dolly work will be required. Not an easy job to do if you don't have these skills .Takes me a bit of time for a spot on job. If you want to make the swages use a sheet metal folder on the appropriate size 1mm sheet metal, a swaging machine will create to much distortion as it will pull the sides of the metal in.
Allen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:53 am 
998cc
998cc

Most of the rust is around the outer areas, the existing central ribs seem to be quite solid. So I think I will carefully cut them out of the existing panel, buy the new flat replacement repair panel from Minisport, cut out a section the same dimensions in the middle of it, and weld in the exiting ribs. On the face of it, this appears to be the simplest solution. Or try to find a wrecked Mini with a good spare wheel well still in place and use that - simpler said than done I suspect these days.

1978 Rover SD1 V8 (4.6)
1996 Land Rover Discovery V8 (4.0)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 pm 
998cc
998cc

it is easy to fold these swages on a flat sheet of metal, any sheet metal shop would fold them for you. 1 fold 45 1 fold 90 1 fold 45 that simple and the folding will not stretch the metal. NOW the hard part is welding the new sheet in place .I have done a few of these and if you are not skilled in welding and dressing up get someone else to do it. Usually tack with MIG grind tacks then oxy acet weld whilst dressing up panel.
Allen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

slide wrote:
I’m wanting to replace the rusting spare wheel well on my 1970 Mk2 Aussie Cooper S. The original has two raised ribs in the centre of it running north-south, however the weld in replacement repair panel that Minisport.au sell I CMS1010 is flat on its base with no raised ribs. Is there an original type panel available? If not how have others got around this issue, or have you just gone with the replacement and deleted the original raised ribs?

I’m keen to know how you got on with this.
Cheers,
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:08 pm 
998cc
998cc

mtodd wrote:
slide wrote:

I’m keen to know how you got on with this.
Cheers,
Matt

My panel beater made a replacement for my boot, complete with the ribs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:28 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

The same strengthening ribs are in the rear seat brace so if you can find one of those (not a part that rusts so should be available) you can cut and patch a piece in.

VMCI #43