Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:34 pm 
998cc
998cc

I have two Mini Deluxes; one built July '67 and the other May '68. The later one benefits from the windscreen wiper changes introduced to both the Deluxe and the Cooper S from Apr '68, viz left hand parking, round bodied AUW12 wiper motor (which can be changed to two speed), changed scuttle panel with pressed depressions for the wheel box splined shafts and the associated escutcheon and spacer, and revised wiper arms and blades to suit, and different length rack covers. Did the bulkhead retain the existing mounts for positioning the new wiper motor? It's a bit hard to determine.
The other (not so obvious) change in respect of my two cars is the covers for the underfloor pipework. Four small corner plates for '67; two full length plates for '68. My reference book says this is a Sept '67 change.
The the questions I have are:
* Was the wiper change known by any particular nomenclature, or was it just seen as a normal production change but encompassing a number of parts?
* Were there any other changes of significance at the same time?
Cheers

Last edited by DavidE on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

-

Last edited by eightfifty on Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:13 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

DavidE wrote:
I have two Mini Deluxes; one built July '67 and the other May '68. The later one benefits from the windscreen wiper changes introduced to both the Deluxe and the Cooper S from Apr '68, viz left hand parking, round bodied AUW12 wiper motor (which can be changed to two speed), changed scuttle panel with pressed depressions for the wheel box splined shafts and the associated escutcheon and spacer, and revised wiper arms and blades to suit, and different length rack covers.. Did the bulkhead retain the existing mounts for positioning the new wiper motor? It's a bit hard to determine.
The other (not so obvious) change in respect of my two cars is the covers for the underfloor pipework. Four small corner plates for '67; two full length plates for '68. My reference book says this is a Sept '67 change.
* Was the wiper change known by any particular nomenclature, or was it just seen as a normal production change but encompassing a number of parts?
Cheers

Floor change was around Sep 1967. The 2 cars I have confirmed either side of the change are 28041 and 29562. Its a big gap but hopefully I can find some more cars in the 28000 range and ask the owners what hydro covers they have.

The wiper mount holes moved but the raised pad remained as it was part of the original pressing.
The holes look like this.
Attachment:
Post April 1968 wiper mount.jpg

Not sure of any other changes that happened at car 32800/32801 when the wipers changed other than the scuttle and wiper setup

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by gtogreen1969 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

David - wiper panel assembly changeover associated with the AUW wiper motor change was done at YMA2S2 Deluxe body #32800. The triangular pressing was still evident on the panel however the newer round bodied motor was rotated ~15deg so as to allow proper fitment without impeding on bodywork scuttle. Coinciding with this, I also believe the bonnet prop bracket that is spot welded onto the O/S flitch panel was moved further back - in my view to prop the bonnet open a little higher - this change perhaps aided by the recessed wiper spiggots & arms associated with the AUW motor.

With regard to floor pressings, although there is no distinct changeover point noted, I would associate a change in (hydro) pipe detail (bends were different between the earliy & late) - with Deluxe YMA2S2 #27869 onwards having this change, therefore the full-length protectors being employed from this point on (and for the record the 'S' at #2961). The other sigificant change just prior to this was the hydro displacer units themselves - for both Deluxe and 'S'.

If you recall I did gratefully receive the small corner plates from you a while back of which I made plated replicas - I think I gave the stock to John at Mini King.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hinesy1275 wrote:
David - wiper panel assembly changeover associated with the AUW wiper motor change was done at YMA2S2 Deluxe body #32800. The triangular pressing was still evident on the panel however the newer round bodied motor was rotated ~15deg so as to allow proper fitment without impeding on bodywork scuttle. Coinciding with this, I also believe the bonnet prop bracket that is spot welded onto the O/S flitch panel was moved further back - in my view to prop the bonnet open a little higher - this change perhaps aided by the recessed wiper spiggots & arms associated with the AUW motor.

With regard to floor pressings, although there is no distinct changeover point noted, I would associate a change in (hydro) pipe detail (bends were different between the earliy & late) - with Deluxe YMA2S2 #27869 onwards having this change, therefore the full-length protectors being employed from this point on (and for the record the 'S' at #2961). The other sigificant change just prior to this was the hydro displacer units themselves - for both Deluxe and 'S'.

If you recall I did gratefully receive the small corner plates from you a while back of which I made plated replicas - I think I gave the stock to John at Mini King.

Hope this helps.

I believe the bonnet stay bracket change was around Dec 67 - Jan 68. The 2 deluxes i have listed either side of the change is 30368 and 31059. The S is between 3584 and 3620.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

gtogreen1969 wrote:
Hinesy1275 wrote:

Hope this helps.

I believe the bonnet stay bracket change was around Dec 67 - Jan 68. The 2 deluxes i have listed either side of the change is 30368 and 31059. The S is between 3584 and 3620.

Thank you - I did take a little liberty there - it's a welded bracket that was separate to the flitch panel, and without a change point listed...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:35 am 
848cc
848cc

-

Last edited by eightfifty on Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:05 am 
998cc
998cc

eightfifty wrote:
As mentioned previously, drawings indicate both floors (pipes and covers) progressing together with no clear indication as to when the UK floor ceased for YDO5 and the Australian floor begins. There's probablymore than a year overlap amongst the various models made and identification of a precise change over point is not going to be possible. Parts books are inconsistent. Observations involving a couple of hundred cars in the 40,000 Deluxe saloons produced are unlikely to provide precision but are a reasonable guess in the absence of anything else.

The bonnet prop bracket change is more defined, as being changed on the drawing at precisely 10/5/1967. As with all the drawings, some time is required to allow for the change to reach production.

The wiper motor change is also more definite. The drawing shown previously by Gtogreen is not the correct drawing in that it is one which gives another change to the holes later fitment to LHD models. The actual change from earlier to later wiper motors is detailed on YS500 which shows the relative positions of the new and old holes (the 15 degrees mentioned above is accurate) and is dated 8/12/1967.

Regards, Tony

Is dwg YS500 able to be shared? I've trawled what has been written above but have been unable to find the reference to 15 degrees. Can you pinpoint that for me please?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

David when I wrote my book Australian Mini & Moke - 1961 to 1982 the available information at the time indicated that the initial run of both Morris Mini Deluxe and Morris Cooper S did not have the channels in which to run the hydro lines, brake lines etc. and a running change was introduced. Initially the cars were fitted with four small cover plates which simply protected the pipes at the change of direction front and rear and did not extend the full length of the car.
At the same time in production the original floor pan suitable for the "magic wand" gear change was being utilised on the Morris Mini Minor and the Morris Mini Van.
At publication I indicated the change took place in September 1966 and car YMA2S2 18500 approx. for Morris Mini Deluxe and YKG2S2 2961 for Morris Cooper S.
Since that date I have been monitoring as many vehicles as possible in the time range of 1967 to confirm or deny these changes and thus far have found numerous vehicles which support the stated changes.
I have been preparing a paper on this subject for some time due to some incorrect information that has been circulated recently, the paper will be published when I have completed some more checks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:42 am 
Yay For Hay!

I've snipped a few comments from here, please (please please please) stay on topic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:37 am 
998cc
998cc

gtogreen1969 wrote:
DavidE wrote:
I have two Mini Deluxes; one built July '67 and the other May '68. The later one benefits from the windscreen wiper changes introduced to both the Deluxe and the Cooper S from Apr '68, viz left hand parking, round bodied AUW12 wiper motor (which can be changed to two speed), changed scuttle panel with pressed depressions for the wheel box splined shafts and the associated escutcheon and spacer, and revised wiper arms and blades to suit, and different length rack covers.. Did the bulkhead retain the existing mounts for positioning the new wiper motor? It's a bit hard to determine.
Cheers

Floor change was around Sep 1967. The 2 cars I have confirmed either side of the change are 28041 and 29562. Its a big gap but hopefully I can find some more cars in the 28000 range and ask the owners what hydro covers they have.

The wiper mount holes moved but the raised pad remained as it was part of the original pressing.
The holes look like this.
Attachment:
Post April 1968 wiper mount.jpg

Not sure of any other changes that happened at car 32800/32801 when the wipers changed other than the scuttle and wiper setup

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:38 am 
998cc
998cc

Hinesy1275 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:42 am 
998cc
998cc

Rialto wrote:
David when I wrote my book Australian Mini & Moke - 1961 to 1982 the available information at the time indicated that the initial run of both Morris Mini Deluxe and Morris Cooper S did not have the channels in which to run the hydro lines, brake lines etc. and a running change was introduced. Initially the cars were fitted with four small cover plates which simply protected the pipes at the change of direction front and rear and did not extend the full length of the car.
At the same time in production the original floor pan suitable for the "magic wand" gear change was being utilised on the Morris Mini Minor and the Morris Mini Van.
At publication I indicated the change took place in September 1966 and car YMA2S2 18500 approx. for Morris Mini Deluxe and YKG2S2 2961 for Morris Cooper S.
Since that date I have been monitoring as many vehicles as possible in the time range of 1967 to confirm or deny these changes and thus far have found numerous vehicles which support the stated changes.
I have been preparing a paper on this subject for some time due to some incorrect information that has been circulated recently, the paper will be published when I have completed some more checks.

Thank you, John. As far as I can see, the floor pan for the 7/67 car is for a remote change box, and as already stated it has the four small "corner" plates.
Cheers