Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:13 am 
1275cc
1275cc

This is a project I've been thinking about for quite a while. I've had a few Maxrob steering wheels, they were made in Australia and came in wood & a foam rim. The hardest part to find for them is the mini specific horn trim ring.

The boss uses a trim ring on top which has a hole to retain the Mk1 horn button. It was originally cast alloy

I made a crude model in Google sketchup and had it 3D printed. It needs a few holes drilled & the reliefs cut on the bottom edge for the spokes. Overall it looks pretty solid, but does need a bit of finishing work. It was enough for me to consider putting in a bit more time in the design stage to get something a bit closer to the original

Next up I downloaded Fusion360 and watched some YouTube videos and learnt a few tricks. This is the second prototype which will hopefully be more or less ready to bolt on when I get it back from printing. If anyone else has a need for one once I've finalised the design I'll be happy to get some more made up. I'm also considering making a non-horn version for Mk2/Leyland slightly shorter with a logo in the middle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

That's awesome Timmy, I have a woodgrain maxrob the same as yours pictured. I am not sure if I will use it yet as I don't have a Mini boss kit for it, although I am sure I could adapt it to something. Watching with interest!

1969 Deluxe 'Scruby' 998 Waiting for a roof skin...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:50 am 
1275cc
1275cc

MiniPete wrote:
That's awesome Timmy, I have a woodgrain maxrob the same as yours pictured. I am not sure if I will use it yet as I don't have a Mini boss kit for it, although I am sure I could adapt it to something. Watching with interest!

Thanks Pete!

I’ve found a few of the bosses in the last few years. I guess they would have made the same boss the whole way through mini production but the Mk2 and Leyland wouldn’t have needed the Mk1 horn button in the centre. I have got a boss for the two decent wheels I have now, once I figure out what I’m doing I might have a spare

What diameter and dish is yours? I’d really like a 14-15” with lower dish than mine. I find the 13” a bit small

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

timmy201 wrote:
MiniPete wrote:

Thanks Pete!

I’ve found a few of the bosses in the last few years. I guess they would have made the same boss the whole way through mini production but the Mk2 and Leyland wouldn’t have needed the Mk1 horn button in the centre. I have got a boss for the two decent wheels I have now, once I figure out what I’m doing I might have a spare

What diameter and dish is yours? I’d really like a 14-15” with lower dish than mine. I find the 13” a bit small

I believe it is a 13" , I'll grab a pic next time I am in the shed. I believe it has an early holden boss kit on it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:43 am 
848cc
848cc

Nice work on these Tim, and as you know I'm keen to grab one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Quote:
I believe it is a 13" , I'll grab a pic next time I am in the shed. I believe it has an early holden boss kit on it.

Nope, it's a 14" rim and I would guess the same dish as yours. For reference the Springalex is 13".

Pic Attached (if it works!)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:15 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I got the piece back from printing before Christmas and it turned out pretty good. There’s still a few little areas to tweak, but I’m getting closer. The other part I’ll need to add is an earth wire from the horn screw to the boss to get the horn to work

Once I’ve finalised the design I’ll get a few printed out if anyone would be interested

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.