Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:11 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to put together a set of H4 carbs for my car and I’ve found a pair of AUD178. According to the BMC Australia special tuning parts list C/HYL7001 they were available locally. Does anyone have any experience or memory of them being used in any racing in the early days here?

For reference: the H4 carbs were used in early racing series as they were 1.5” and shared the same bolt pattern as HS2 carbs. They were class legal for series that required the stock intake manifold to be retained

Thanks, Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:10 am 
Oh dear, worry, worry...

Hi Tim
These carbies were STD on the MGA as twins, i ran 3 of these on my FJ Holden along with every body else.
These carbs were used on all types of race cars back in the fifties/ sixtys, i ran a set of these on my
997 cooper in the late sixties.
These carburettors are the ones they have to use on the historic minis in the UK appendix K very much sort after.
Graham Russell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

The post I’ve been waiting for. I run a 1310 with a mild cam and the car has M needles fitted. I’ve been very ill so my memory is a touch hazy, but I did call GR I think but can not remember what he recommended but I do remember him advising against M’s. What needles are people running in twin HS4’s? I would rather just buy one set than multiple, at stage I also have an AEM AFR gauge ready to have the Lambda bung welded in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:45 am 
1275cc
1275cc

jaybee wrote:
The post I’ve been waiting for. I run a 1310 with a mild cam and the car has M needles fitted. I’ve been very ill so my memory is a touch hazy, but I did call GR I think but can not remember what he recommended but I do remember him advising against M’s. What needles are people running in twin HS4’s? I would rather just buy one set than multiple, at stage I also have an AEM AFR gauge ready to have the Lambda bung welded in.

I would be using No7 needles

6 is for 1275 Non S (leaner)
7 for 1275 Cooper S spec
CP4 or BG for a worked 1275 (richer)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:54 am 
1275cc
1275cc

GR wrote:
Hi Tim
These carbies were STD on the MGA as twins, i ran 3 of these on my FJ Holden along with every body else.
These carbs were used on all types of race cars back in the fifties/ sixtys, i ran a set of these on my
997 cooper in the late sixties.
These carburettors are the ones they have to use on the historic minis in the UK appendix K very much sort after.
Graham Russell

Thanks Graham, it's good to hear that they were used over here too in various competition cars. I haven't seen many minis here using them today, I guess HS4 is a more reliable option but I've really come to like the look of the H4 on UK cars

These are the genuine special tuning pair which have most of the parts still there

jaybee wrote:

These are H4 carbs, which are a little bit different to HS4 but take the same needles. This spec of H4 were recommended to take CP4 needles, which is the same as the needles in the Australian police spec Cooper S with twin HS4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:55 pm 
848cc
848cc

gtogreen1969 wrote:
jaybee wrote:

I would be using No7 needles

6 is for 1275 Non S (leaner)
7 for 1275 Cooper S spec
CP4 or BG for a worked 1275 (richer)

This may give a good comparison .... http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/
[sorry, if it has been posted before]