Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:52 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

During my present rebuild, I notice that the 4 new bolts I have used are tensioned into their threaded holes in the top plates of the subframe towers BUT the flat washer under the head of each bolt can still be moved easily, meaning the subframe isn't clamped into its location because the bolt seems to be bottoming out.
Attachment:
Tower bolt original and replacement.jpg

The bolts originally used to retain the tower look like they are 'special' - the threaded portion is short and the overall length is shorter than a full 4 inches, which is the length of new bolts I have been using in the past and now.

I usually replace these tower bolts as they live in a damp environment and are always rusted out when removed.

Mini King catalogue lists the bolts as HBZ534 but that is a 4 1/4inch and would definitely bottom out if I'm having problems with a 4inch one.

Anyone come across this before?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I always use studs in the subframes not bolts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

TK wrote:
I always use studs in the subframes not bolts

Certainly solves the problem of lining up the holes in the subframe!

Have run a die down the threads of the bolts and shaved off some of the plating. The bolts have gone in much easier and pulled up tighter than before.
Seems to have solved this issue but I'm still curious about the factory original bolts.