Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:32 am 
998cc
998cc

Having had no luck finding good windup window doors, I'm on the path now to replacing with 850 sliding window doors.

Can I ask if others have done it, do they fit staight onto a 67 Deluxe, what modifications are needed to B pillar/striker or what else do I need to consider.

Yes, I know wind up windows are better in Australian heat, but Barney is now 100% a toy so I dont mind the Cafe Racer look. Not being able to find like for like replacements is the ultimate determinant.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:43 pm 
998cc
998cc

Cooper_Matrikon wrote:
Having had no luck finding good windup window doors, I'm on the path now to replacing with 850 sliding window doors.

Can I ask if others have done it, do they fit staight onto a 67 Deluxe, what modifications are needed to B pillar/striker or what else do I need to consider.

Yes, I know wind up windows are better in Australian heat, but Barney is now 100% a toy so I dont mind the Cafe Racer look. Not being able to find like for like replacements is the ultimate determinant.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

What are you hoping to obtain in getting replacement doors?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:50 pm 
998cc
998cc

Having done something similar I would expect that you would find the the swap quite simple.

When I acquired one of my UK shelled car (a Traveller) it was fitted with Oz windup type doors. I replaced these with Oz sliding window doors which bolted straight on. I assume that the Oz doors are pretty much identical to the UK doors in that they fit straight into the UK shell. The doors seem identical to (what I presume to be) the UK sliding window versions.

The only real differences I found was that the UK shell has the nylon buffer and bracket the other way round. ie the UK shell has the buffer on the body and the bracket on the door...... or maybe it was the other way round. Doesn't matter which as they both use the same holes in the door /body so its just a case of undoing the screws and swapping the bits over.

And, the later (Oz) bodies have a small difference in the actual shape of the B Pillar in the latch area but this doesn't seem to really matter.

Cheers, Ian

PS One response to David's question is that the sliding windows are a LOT lighter than the windup types.... If you pay a lot of tolls then the windups may be more convenient but I find the ventilation perfectly adequate.

PPS... Door seals might be an issue. UK seals are solid sponge rubber with a slightly different shape from the Oz hollow section types....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:16 pm 
religious status
religious status

Have you considered reskinning the wind up doors?
850 skins are or were available from UK and fit after some mods I believe.

Edit
Karcraft lists them here.

The 850 skin needs the door handle brkt-panel welded on to the inside & the extra 2x little holes for the handle stopper drilled.
Info from Matt Read.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:01 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

drmini in aust wrote:

Edit

The 850 skin needs the door handle brkt-panel welded on to the inside & the extra 2x little holes for the handle stopper drilled.
Info from Matt Read.

If Cooper_Matrikon has the original wind-up doors...?
It is a relatively simple job. I have done 2 of these and I'm not a panelbeater!
There is also a lip at the top of the 850 skin which needs removing where the wind-up glass can slide up and down.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:45 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

drmini in aust wrote:

Edit

Info from Matt Read.

I think he is having problems with main frame being very rusty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:00 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Cooper_Matrikon wrote:
Having had no luck finding good windup window doors.

Where have you tried? Are you on any of the Mini Facebook Groups?

While they are not plentiful I see people asking on FB and often getting a link to someone who has a door or two stored away. It seems good sliding window doors are a bit rarer.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:20 pm 
religious status
religious status

Matt Read says he has about 50 windup doors stashed. Not sure how perfect. I'd give him a ring.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:11 pm 
998cc
998cc

Thanks all. Going to down the path with 850 doors and sliding windows. I've asked far and wide with nothing of acceptable quality turning up. I'm also in the hands of a repairer so for some at home with the skills and the time I'm sure the options I've been given would have played out. Again, many would say its a step backwards from wind up windows, but I like the look of sliding windows and there is a bit of cafe racer theatre in them. The doors are very good so I'm going down the path. Thanks for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:31 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Have you considered modifying clubman doors swapping the catch sections on the inners and filling the hole on the skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:55 pm 
848cc
848cc

I'm assuming you're buying new mk1 doors from the UK? Otherwise to repeat what others have said, there are loads more 2nd hand windup doors than sliding doors available.
I'd be interested to know how the new doors are, as the sliding window doors in Susanna are heavily repaired and might need replacing in the future.

I've test fitted windup doors to a sliding window 850 in the past, I had to slot the latch something like 5mm and had to swap the buffer to the pillar but otherwise it lined up perfect

I'd hope a similar process in reverse will work for you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

Cooper_Matrikon wrote:
Thanks all. Going to down the path with 850 doors and sliding windows…I like the look of sliding windows and there is a bit of cafe racer theatre in them.

They’re also much lighter in weight :D