Ausmini
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Fiesta conversion
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all, in the process of restoring a K and have decided to go down the Fiesta route after an impulse buy in the UK. I'm not sure of anyone else is considering this but if it helps I am happy to answer any questions about what I've learned.

To be frank, unless you really want 7.9s that fit in some 10" wheels I wouldn't consider this conversion.

Post subject: Re: Fiesta conversion
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

I looked at doing this as I would like something better quality than the cheap new calipers which are apparently rubbish. The main problem I saw was that I couldn't find any fiesta calipers for sale (didn't know exactly what to look for) and also assumed parts would be more difficult to get than mini ones.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

This is the main problem, if your were in the UK or travelling there it is pretty straightforward to get what you need. I was on a business trip so it made more sense to me. I reckon it'll be just about the largest brake caliper/disc combo you will get under 10", however the 7.5" setup with a brake booster will probably deliver a far more economical solution in the long run.

I'm committed but now knowing what I know I wouldn't do it again. One upshot though is I'll probably never need another set of brake pads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:01 am 
religious status
religious status

Years ago we used to fit Honda city or Honda civic callipers and modified rotors. I had a set.
Yes they work but need wheel spacers which are illegal unless you get brakes engineered. AFAIK nobody bothered, so bad news if you have an accident.
I fitted S disc brakes instead.

Edit
Re the Fiesta UK brakes these were long ago, about when we had Ford FESTIVA here. Not the same car.
Fiesta brakes used back then would be nothing like recent Fiesta ones.
(we own a 2009 Fiesta)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yeah, you need mk1 or MK2 calipers (10mm X 221mm rotor, 48mm piston). The mk3 uses a larger diameter rotor and the pads are a little different, though seem to be compatible.

The mk1 calipers are a bit odd as they don't use sliding pins, but rather a tongue and groove arrangement.

I have clearance on these alloy CSRs at +35mm offset without spacers.

Took me a while to understand the differences between the calipers and there's plenty of refurbed parts in the UK that will report being compatible but aren't really for this application.

As an example there's a company in Lithuania that has some refurbed MK2 RH calipers, complete with the uber rare carriers but no LHS.

I think this set up will still end up being a better brake feel and better quality than the replica cooper s calipers but you can get the genuine ones for a bit extra and no anxiety around receiving parts that don't fit. Plus postage is a killer.

I'm guessing you've had to fit spacers in the past for rim clearance?

Sounds like Honda conversions might be ok on 12" rims, and there are some pretty tasty hoops available from image.

And yes, our Fiesta is completely different to the UK indigenous model. I went for a walk around upullit to find a caliper that would fit the bracket. Maybe someone else might have some luck, especially if you could cross-reference the Bosch part number against domestically a available models.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.