Ausmini
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rodents in shed
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:38 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi, I am looking for suggestions on how to deter rodents from my car, it hasn't got all the glass in yet.
So far they are only evident by the baits I put down in the shed disappearing or being nibbled.
Thanks in advance.

Remember the lesson not the disappointment.

Post subject: Re: Rodents in shed
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:49 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Depends on how you view the little rodents. Since you are already baiting I'm assume you are willing to euthanise them, so lots of bait and traps are the go.

Otherwise there is a more humane trap in the form of a bucket with a balance lid whereby they walk up a ramp and across the lid to food and topple into the bucket via gravity. This means the bucket contains live mice until you empty it into a distant neighbor's property, or wherever.

Like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40422298389 ... a-EALw_wcB

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:39 pm 
998cc
998cc

Firstly I feel yoir pain and we seem to be in the middle of another plague as I have noticed a large increase in the shed also.
There are numerous old wives tales (or tails if you like dad jokes) to deter the destructi e little buggers.
First off what does NOT work. The electronic devices regardless of design. And a lot of traps on the market are also less than useless.
The traps to use are 'Safe ans Sure' grey plastic traps. These are the most reliable, easy to set and bait with a smear of peanut butter. The black copies of these traps are useless.
Be wary about too much use of baits as it tends to attract mice into the shed for a feed.
I did use peppermint air fresheners in 1 vehicle which seemed to work but I have no proof.
Also if you leave the lights on and a radio on it tends to deter them somewhat.
If you want to get really nasty then flour mixed with cement powder kills them but this ethod as well as baits means they can die anywhere and behind stuff is a fave place leading to bad smells when you cannot find them.
I hve found the S&S traps easiest.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:44 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I suggest putting water in the bucket. Rat Sack makes them thirsty. They drown and then you can bury them in YOUR garden.
PS some may be marsupials.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:59 pm 
998cc
998cc

Also if the vehicle is not in daily use then jacking it up may stop them getting in. The tyres are how they climb up.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

winabbey wrote:
Depends on how you view the little rodents. Since you are already baiting I'm assume you are willing to euthanise them, so lots of bait and traps are the go.

Otherwise there is a more humane trap in the form of a bucket with a balance lid whereby they walk up a ramp and across the lid to food and topple into the bucket via gravity. This means the bucket contains live mice until you empty it into a distant neighbor's property, or wherever.

Like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40422298389 ... a-EALw_wcB

Thanks , I've ordered one.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks guy's
Interestingly I had virtually no problems over summer but in autumn I had two brown snakes die after being trapped in bird netting, we put over our fruit trees. We see the occasional snake but just let them go about their business, but they go after the rodents that like the fallen fruit, and get trapped, unfortunately they are dead before we find them.
We also had rodents in our mouse hotels (compost Bins) but put in a Maze compost tumbler which is rodent proof, that helped a lot.
I'll try the suggestions that apply.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Please don’t poison them, owls then eat them and die too. Traps are the go Dave is right about some of the traps being useless too. We had rats chew some wiring on our landrover and I set traps (caught nothing).
Dave is right about the Peppermint oil too, I sprayed under the bonnets of our cars with neat peppermint oil had have not had any signs of rodent crap or nests under the bonnet since.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Wurth make an excellent product that you can spray on wiring, its not a poison but a repellent.
Vermaseal for the bottom of your shed is a great investment although probably expensive or time consuming to retrofit to an existing shed.

1969 Deluxe 'Scruby' 998 Waiting for a roof skin...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

jaybee wrote:
Please don’t poison them, owls then eat them and die too. Traps are the go Dave is right about some of the traps being useless too. We had rats chew some wiring on our landrover and I set traps (caught nothing).
Dave is right about the Peppermint oil too, I sprayed under the bonnets of our cars with neat peppermint oil had have not had any signs of rodent crap or nests under the bonnet since.

That does concern me, I love birds particularly birds of Prey, my wife has a fear of even the smallest bird since her brother bought her budgerigar when little. Will look into the peppermint oil how long does it last.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

MiniPete wrote:
Wurth make an excellent product that you can spray on wiring, its not a poison but a repellent.
Vermaseal for the bottom of your shed is a great investment although probably expensive or time consuming to retrofit to an existing shed.

The bottom of the shed is sealed the problem is the PA door do you know the name of the Wurth product

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:27 am 
998cc
998cc

Farm supply shops sell a deterrent product in large tablet form which smells of strong garlic. I cannot remember the name but I am sure if you ask they will know it.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:43 am 
848cc
848cc

stewartp wrote:
MiniPete wrote:

The bottom of the shed is sealed the problem is the PA door do you know the name of the Wurth product

The Wurth spray is called "Rodent Protection Spray"
We use it at a central Victorian Toyota dealership where we have seen farm vehicles written off by rat damage.

1969 Deluxe 'Scruby' 998 Waiting for a roof skin...

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi, My turn for a bit of advice, I had forgotten until now, 15 years ago a mouse/rat nibbled the rear seat top of the MGBGT I restored. The Motor trimmer advised me to wash my hands thoroughly before handling upholstery, especially after eating greasy food as the rodents are attracted to the smell of the food transferred from your hand.
Rgds Stewart

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the advice, so far I've been leaving the radio on when I'm not in the shed. I've bought a solar powered light from Amazon that claims to last over night, but only just set that up. I also bought the rodent trap recommended by winabbey , but nothing caught so far. No sign of recent rodent activity but early days so far, I'll advise if things change. Having just spent a small fortune on new seat covers I'm trying everything I can to protect them.
Thanks Stewart