Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Special Tools
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

Dear Readers,

I'd like to advise you of a new facility on the Resources page of my web site http://www.leylandaustralia.com.au, and that is, a section devoted to BMC/Leyland Australia special tools. Here you will find a complete listing of the special tools listed in a Litchfield tool catalogue as of December 1974. There are 271 tools listed. In about 65 of these, there is a photo of the actual tool that can be downloaded, and in most cases, a technical drawing of the tool.

The drawings are those I have done myself from measurements of the tool, they are not factory drawings. Unfortunately, the factory engineering drawings for Product Engineering did not include those of the 18G special tools, these items being made by outside companies such as Litchfield and Austaloy.

In case of need, I can manufacture a tool from the drawing, but this would of course involve a payment which may not be economical unless you are in the business of vehicle repairs. These tools were quite expensive at the time and many of them were mandatory purchases by dealerships as part of their dealer agreement.

Most of the tools photographed and drawn are from the 1800 range with some Mini. if anyone would like to lend me a Mini special tool that I have not already drawn, I'd be happy to prepare a drawing of it.

I hope that this new feature (which surely must be another unique offering for a car enthusiast web site) will be of interest to you.

Regards
Tony

Last edited by eightfifty on Thu May 18, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Special Tools
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:05 am 
848cc
848cc

Just took a look. Amazing detail, that is a fantastic effort and must have taken considerable time to accomplish.
Thank you

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

I appreciate your interest. There's not much to look at (until I put some pictures on the actual page), but the drawings might be useful it one wants to make a tool. In some cases, you wish BMC would have made more tools. For example, no doubt many readers have struggled with trying to renew their speedo cable outer and cursed the former owners who have cross threaded the alloy nut at the gearbox end, not to mention the smoothed over knurling. I made up the tool pictured below which works on a principle similar to a stud remover where some decent grip can be had from above to undo the thing without having to take off a universal joint or manifold. regards Tony

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:33 am 
998cc
998cc

Excellent work Tony. Thank you.

I'm sure this will be of great benefit down the track. It's so much quicker and easier to make something from a drawing or pic than going through the process of designing it yourself.
Yes you get a lot of satisfaction from coming up with a solution yourself (geez I've certainly had to do it enough times over the years) but, at the end of the day, it's usually holding up progress of a job and why reinvent the wheel??

'63 Morris 850 (Old Secondhand CAR)