Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Sun visor pivots
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:10 pm 
848cc
848cc

Readers, I have for the past few years supplied various ABS 3D printed items to parts outlets for retail sale - one of which is a pair of sun visor pivots. I have not been very happy with the strength of these items and am now fitting them with a stainless steel through-bolt as shown in the picture below. Unfortunately, 3D printing is not so great when it comes to a part that requires mechanical strength. There is a trade off between ABS (good surface finish and shape, low strength) and nylon (good strength, poor finish and dimensions). The addition of the bolt considerably strengthens this part. if you have purchased these items and are ones one that I have made, then I will replace them with the new design for cost of postage. Please provide proof of purchase and a photo of your existing part. Please write to mail@leylandaustralia.com.au . Do not use this forum messaging system since I do not check these. Regards, Tony

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Sun visor pivots
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:15 am 
848cc
848cc

Which orientation were they printed in? The best way is lying down something like in the photo. The "default" way they would be printed without thinking about strength is with the pin vertical which is the weakest way, the pin would brake off at a layer join.

Too many minis

Post subject: Re: Sun visor pivots
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:37 am 
848cc
848cc

It's a good question and a good suggestion. I print them with the pin vertical so that the surface finish is best, and there is some strength around the hole where the attachment screw goes. I thought this would be the weakest point. I found if I printed multiples in one go, they did indeed break very easily, so I've been printing them one at a time so that the material just printed is still hot for the next pass. They work OK if everything is perfect, but with the typical rusty bent tubes in sunvisors these days, they are borderline. With the bolt going through, even if the plastic breaks, the bolt holds it all together. regards, Tony