Ausmini
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:12 pm 
998cc
998cc

My daughters car has rust blisters and cracks in the paint along some of the seams.
She doesn’t have the money to have it addressed professionally and we have repaired it once ourselves but the rust came back after a few years.
I know the proper way to do it is to grind/sand it back, treat the rust, seal it, fill, prime and paint but the car is a daily driver and she doesn’t want it off the road at the moment.
Should we just spray WD40 or some other rust converter into the cracks to minimise the rust progression.
Attachment:
D83FD3F7-C876-4649-97EA-40FF4094BA8E.jpeg

Regards
Phil

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

At that stage of rust I don't think spraying anything will make a difference. Maybe if it was light rust but that isn't.

I would pull off the seam cover, wire brush it and paint it however you will most likely find a lot of filler and holes.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:58 am 
Yay For Hay!

Ditto, the sooner you get on to that the better - left for too much longer it'll get very expensive very quickly

I did mine a few years ago as they (original paint) were getting a bit the same. I wire wheeled it all back to about 2" either side of the seam, pulled the covers off, cleaned it all up, primed and painted, then sikaflex'd new covers on after painting them.. it'll be OK for another 54 years

You can do it one at a time on the weekend - and if done well, it's another thing that doesn't need to be done if/when she decides to get the whole car painted

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 5:15 pm 
998cc
998cc

Seam covers are notorious for rust. There is probably a lot more under it. Its not a huge job to change so I would get onto it ASAP.

If you really dont have the time/money to do the whole job. Fish Oil spray would be the least bad option IMHO