Ausmini
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:55 pm 
848cc
848cc

I picked up my new traveller shell on the weekend, and like various others on the forum at the moment I'm trying to figure out exactly what I've got, especially the year. It came with 2 ID plates.

The first is the usual australian plate marked:

THE BRITISH MOTOR CORPORATION
(AUSTRALIA) PTY. LTD.
TYPE YMA2S1
CAR NO. 49555
ENGINE NO. 8Y/U/H 8328
COLOUR 1/SLATE GREY/3

This has confused me a bit. I've looked up YMA2S1 on the lists hanging around the forum and also on various websites which help to decifer the codes

(Here are some, for those interested.)
http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~mdobruck/ ... /11/id.htm
http://www.minimania.com/ArticleV.cfm?D ... ry=General
http://ps.gen.nz/~fritss/mini_car_club/mag.pdf

Both the body type and the engine number point to this plate coming from a standard Morris Mini 850 sedan (2S meaning sedan). I would have expected there to be a W (for wagon) in place of the 2S. Does anyone else here own a traveller? If so, what are the codes?

I was also surprised that it had an Australian plate at all, thinking that travellers were only produced in the UK. Yet this plate has the australian Y code. Does anyone know if some were manufactured here as well? I'm beginning to think that perhaps the plate didn't come off the car, since it's not actually attached.

The other plate is from Larke Hoskins in Sydney which I believe was a distributor for imported cars. They still exist in the form of a Honda dealership but haven't kept the old records so I doubt this plate will be of any use. It shows a serial number 8503144 which is specific to Larke Hoskins I believe. The rest of this plate is just an ad for Castrol Motor Oil.

There is also a number 3818 stamped into the firewall and another 3310 stamped into the radiator shroud. What do these mean? The car came with 2 wiper motors, one which is too faint to read and the other marked 3-68. Either or none of these could have been the original so it's not much help for figuring out the year.

Any help interpreting the BMC plate would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Simms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:43 pm 
religious status
religious status

3818 on the firewall (BIG letters) is the proper bodyshell number. :)
The number on the radiator shroud is a Production tracking number- on early cars it is close to body # but not the same.
But on Clubbies, that IS the body number.

Note these body numbers are not unique to body type. eg my MiniMatic is a 1970 model, and is only body # 1385 because few autos were made.

It is true that travellers (and pickups) were NOT made here, but some vans were converted when new to have a rear seat and side windows, which I think were fixed.

That ID plate is definitely off an 850 sedan. It's been swapped- the proper one should bear the same number as the shell number stamped into the firewall. All Oz made Minis got a firewall plate like that up to 1968, 1969 most got SFA, 69-1970 on got a proper VIN plate. But many plates have gone missing over the years, for shady reasons or otherwise.

Hope this helps. 8)

Post subject: Here's another list
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

http://www.hotbricks.org.au/files/engine.txt

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:21 pm 
religious status
religious status

Lots of ??? and gaps in there.... no Clubbie vans for example. Just like most other lists.. (Mini Kingdom, Mini Car Clinic) :cry:

I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the info Doctor. Yeah, it looks like i've been screwed with the id plate then but maybe i can find out the year by asking around UK forums, using the body number from the firewall.

redfive: yes i had stumbled across that page during my search. It seems most lists give slightly different information so most models can be worked out but traveller numbers are nowhere to be seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:00 pm 
religious status
religious status

Does the roof drain at each front corner of the gutter have a slot, or 2 holes?
Slot= UK, holes = Ozzie, mate! :wink:

<Edit> If roof drains are holes and there's a big body number stamped in the firewall, I'd say it's a converted Oz van.. not too hard to do.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

I'll check the roof drains when I get home. Fairly sure it's an original traveller - it has the slightly raised back floor and tyre well, and the same hinged back seat, side pockets and sliding back windows that are seen on UK travellers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yep - roof drains are slots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:05 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

it's a pommie car
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:55 pm 
teh admin God
teh admin God

So, does that mean holes is always Aussie.
I have two minis clubmen, both holes, one good one rubbish And i just had a look at the plates on them. They are both '72. One says made by British Leyland the 4/72 one (the good one) the other a 10/72 just say made by Leyland- the area that said British on the other one is left blank
hmm

So that was pointless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:23 pm 
religious status
religious status

All OZ made cars had drain holes, (2 per corner) not slots..