Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:34 am 
848cc
848cc

I see many references to powder coating parts, especially wheels.

Whats the difference in application, finish and cost for powder coating a set of rims instead of painting?

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:38 pm 
848cc
848cc

As far as I know powder coating lasts longer and is a lot tougher against day to day abuse. It isn't really all that expensive and the finish isn't too bad either. There is a pretty big range of colours but they are all just flat plain colours so they won't match any of the fancy pants you can buy. Our local powder coater rust proofs everything as well so thats an added bonus. I have gotten a couple of things powder coated and will probably get more things done, eg subframes. I only really use it for stuff you can't really see which are going to cop a beating. But each to their own, depends what look you want, what colours you want and how long you want it to last etc.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:50 pm 
998cc
998cc

I believe powder coating is much more resistant to chemical and heat abuse.....alot of people do it within engine bays etc to deal bits and pieces.

Not to sure on this one though...youd have to check :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:00 pm 
998cc
998cc

Powder coating is a dry finishing process. Finely ground particles of pigment and resin are electrostatically charged and sprayed onto the products to be coated.

The parts to be coated are electrically grounded, so that the charged particles adhere to them until melted and fused into a solid coating in a curing oven.

The result is an attractive, durable, high-quality finish. The powder coating process itself offers another advantage -- it is environmentally friendly...virtually pollution-free!

Unlike liquid paint, no solvents are used, so only negligible amounts of VOCs are released into the air. In addition, unused or oversprayed powder can be recovered, so any waste is minimal and can be disposed of easily and safely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:12 pm 
religious status
religious status

Well put! :)

I was Plant Engineer at Dexion in a previous life.. they put in a $3M powder coating setup while I was there. Yes it is good stuff- unlike paint it tends to build up thicker on the edges and corners of sheet metal instead of thinning out.
One reason I left- I can't stand the powder.. it's like dust- gives me hayfever big time.. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Does any1 have any idea on wat sort of price i/we would be looking at to get a set of rims powdercoated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:28 pm 
998cc
998cc

Probably a bit more expensive than the equivalent in paint, but it is definitely harder wearing.

Post subject: Powdercoating
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

I had the front subframe on my cluban sandblasted and powdercoated and it cost $ 85.
Looks good in semi gloss black against the yellow of the engine bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

thanks for all the info.

I am interested in restoring a set of wheels, and I believe the rims should be powder coated (that's what others have done with this type of rim)

I'll let everyone know how much and where from when I get them done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:23 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I had 5 renault rims sandblasted and powdercoated. They can do some metallic style colours these days.

The rims from memory were about $125 for sandblasting, and $150 for powdercoating, so that works out to be about $55 per wheel total. They also in my case sprayed a clear laquer over the powdercoated surface.

I agree with all the previous comments, in my opinion in looks better; lasts better and is a better bet than painting. This is the second set of rims I have had done. I have also had lots of other bits and pieces powdercoated (usually in gloss black - undertrays etc).

Mine were done by Impact bead blasting and link powdercoating - both in Kings Park off Sunnyholt road (more or less) in Sydney.

You can drop them off at Claude's (Impact Bead Blasting) and he will co-ordinate transferring them to Link etc.

Regards
kevin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

i got quoted $15 per wheel, but thats if they have already been sand blasted, and primered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

1310/71 wrote:
........You can drop them off at Claude's (Impact Bead Blasting) and he will co-ordinate transferring them to Link etc.
Regards
kevin.

Cheers Kevin, will check that lead out!