Ausmini
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:07 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hey guys, does anyone else have any problem with the chocolate milkshake type sludge under the filler cap?

I have checked and dont seem to be getting any bubbles in the coolant, and the oil itself looks fine. So I dont think the Head gasket is cactus.

Does foaming and condensation normally occur on mini's? Seeing that everything else looks okay, i believe its just emulsified oil spray and condensation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:07 pm 
religious status
religious status

Are you doing real short runs?
Maybe it's not getting warm enough to drive off moisture.

Remember- for every litre of petrol burnt you create 1-1/4 litres of water, as water vapour. Some gets into the sump as blowby- only getting the motor up to temp for a while will drive it off. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:06 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Are you running a vented cap? That fixed it right up for me - my motor was out of a Clubbie (with pollution gear) and they have sealed caps - mayo is always a problem with them. I fitted a vented cap and have had no dramas since.

Cheers,
Antony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:27 pm 
998cc
998cc

I drive about 15 minutes to work and home, teh longest run it gets would be about 20 minutes half an hour, but the engine definitely gets up to temp quick enough.

I think it might be the vented cap theory that Anto mentioned, I just have a solid plastic cap. As I said, nothing else looks amiss. I just cleaned the sludge out, and checked everything else

Thanks for your help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

yeah.. mine does the same.
I nearly died when I bought the thing, but the previous owner rang me to tell me that it wasnt anything to worry about. its actually condensation forming inside the rocker cover.... made worse by having a chrome rocker cover.
chrome dissapates heat in a different way than just plain metal, therefore it gets colder, and condenses more.
I just took the rocker cover off and cleaned it out... lots of grey sludge on the inside of the cover, but none on the motor....
its forming again, but I do longer runs in my mini than the previous owner who was 5min from work, so its only a little bit of grey jelly there now.

clean it out... and dont stress about it, just check if every so often.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:15 pm 
religious status
religious status

Sounds like an excuse for a good long thrash every Saturday... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

whatever you say Doctor! :D :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

I have had this too on a clubby and I tried everything to fix it, replaced head gasket, swapped heads etc.
I am of the opinion - just a guess - that worn rings or a scored bore lead to this happening more than usual.
I got the donk out of the car it was happening to and the bores were a bit scored on 1 cylinder.
How is your compression ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:51 pm 
998cc
998cc

Compression is great. the engine was only built about 4 years ago now, and done about 8000 K's. I'm pretty sure its just coz of the condensation and fine oil mist emulsifying. I'm pulling the D/Shafts out in the morning, so I'll prolly pull the rocker cover off too, and have a good look, the top of it is probably gunked up with sludge, and not letting the PCV work properly. :cry:

Looking at the rockers and the oil in general I havent found any problems.