Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:15 pm 
848cc
848cc

Sorry if the pics are slow to load.

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to participate in some driver training at Mallala.

Sage Racing put on a day for special kids from the Variety Club where each of the kids got a hot lap in one of the Sage V8 Brutes.

Sage Racing Utes

Trackskill were also there to provide driver training with all proceeds going to the Variety Club. The Porsche and Ferrari Clubs of SA were supposed to be doing the driver training, but at the last minute they pulled out. As a result, I was able to take my mini out for a bit of driver training around the Mallala circuit.

Variety Club Kids and the Utes

Due to the very late notice, it was only me, and a Group 3 SS Commodore doing the driver training.

My Mini at Turn 1, Commodore in background

The first thing we did was follow the ute around the racing line with cones marked out for the turn in, apex and exit points for each of the corners. Speed was limited to 80 km/h, which didn't really bother me much as I was driving a stock 998 :).

This was fairly boring as I'd been out a Mallala before in my 300zx, and there wasn't too much difference in the line to take.

The next session turned out to be a bit of a surprise as the instructor said to just head out there and do whatever I want! So off I went, 75 mph top speed down the straight and around the hair pin at the end in 3rd gear. I had a blast, the mini was rock solid, understeering when I came in too hot, with tyres squeaking over the ripple strips on the exit from the S's.

Comparing it to my last trip around Mallala in the 300ZX, the mini was heaps more fun. I was flat stick through most of the turns, and it was a lot easier to set the car up for the corners.

The drum brakes actually did a pretty good job at pulling me up, which was nice. The instructors had put out witches hats to mark the braking points, and I could pretty much ignore them and start braking about half way in between the breaking point and the turn in point.

I came in when my temperature guage started to rise a bit higher than I wanted and let the old girl cool off for a while. I reckon my best lap would have been around 1:55. When I was there in my Z I was doing around the 1:30 mark, but most of that is due to being able to do 160 km/h down the straight instead of 120! Through turn 2, a long sweeping right hander, I was gaining quite significantly on the V8 commodore, but as soon as he straightened up, he was gone.

Before the start of the third session, it started raining. I thought bugger it and went out anyway. The mini sure does understeer in the wet! I also manage to lock it up at one point, which was interesting. I never came off the track though, so that was nice. Unfortunately, I did take out a cone, but no damage to the mini. One of the utes had an off and put some dirt on the track, and by some freak of physics, I manage to get the tail out on the mini in the hairpin. I did had the full opposite lock going and managed to keep it on the track before coming to a halt, engine still running and drove off with a grin.

Wave to the Camera!

The fourth session the track was starting to dry out, and the instructor came for a ride with me. He loved it, and the mini was a lot more stable through the corners with the extra weight in the passenger seat. We came in to let the drums cool down as they were starting to shudder and the pedal had a lot of movement in it, and I suggested that the instructor take the wheel and I'll watch him for a couple of laps.

He went off his tree. He had more fun driving the mini than most cars he's driven. He offered to buy it off me right then and there, and this is a completely stock '68 Mini Deluxe. He gave me his card and told me to give him a call if I'm ever selling.

Me in the Passenger Seat, Instructor Sam Driving

In the end, it was a top day out, but now I have a wish list. First up is 12x6 rims so I can fit some discs under them, then I'll go for some power upgrades.

How cool are minis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Sensational pics dude! :D

What an awesome day out! Well done. The Mini looks tops too! You must be happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:07 pm 
998cc
998cc

those pics look awesome dude!
nice looking mini too 8)

Quote:
He went off his tree. He had more fun driving the mini than most cars he's driven. He offered to buy it off me right then and there, and this is a completely stock '68 Mini Deluxe. He gave me his card and told me to give him a call if I'm ever selling

And you even converted someone as well!

What a days work!!

Last edited by MiniK on Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:11 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Sounds like ya had a ball! Thats exactally what I wanna do, and with only 2 cars on track, would be even better!

Did ya show the commodore up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:41 pm 
848cc
848cc

The commodore managed 170 km/h down the straight, whereas I only managed 120 km/h.

I was gaining on him on any corner where acceleration wasn't involved.

He kept running out of brakes, so probably about half the time it was just me out on the track.

The mini got far more attention than the commie though. Everyone was amazed at it on the track. I was amazed a 35 year old car happily cruised around a track at WOT the whole time.

I filled up the tank when I left, for $20, drove the 60 odd km's to the track. Did probably 30 odd laps, drove home and still had quarter of a tank left!

How cool are minis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

And you don't seem to let me live down the fact I didn't go. Even though it was because my mini had no wheels on. And I got less than 24hrs notice.

Bastard, I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!

:evil: :cry: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

i like rides in my matic
i hear about rides in manuals
i am gonna love rides in a manual
im not gonna touch another car until its a manual mini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:33 pm 
religious status
religious status

Best thing to do with a `Matic is drop in something bigger, and manual... :wink:

Hehehe- I had the fastest `MiniMatic' at Wakefield Pk. (OK so it's a modified 1310S in MiniMatic clothing....!) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:43 am 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

hey doc when i finally get my arse into gear and do something with the 850 it should be quick with my 1275 :)
makka