Ausmini
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:38 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hey guys. Have got my beast running again, but have noticed some steam/smoke coming out of the black charcoal cannister. So, this has led me to question if there's a better way of doing it. I've never thought that the engine should be breathing through a hose connected to this thing, as all that is gonna do is breathe a bunch of nasty crap in to my engine. And the logic seems to me that that would cause it to not burn as efficiently, and thus, actually do more damage to the environment.

SO - have any of you guys had a big think about this before? Is there some type of filter element that you can get and put in the cannister that is a healthier option (paper filter or some such)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:18 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I just dont have one. I needed one for the roadowrthy, so instead we put some different screws on (grub screws maybe???) i can't remember...

Apparently they run better without the emision control on anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

the charcoal acts as a store for hydorcarbons which evaporate of the fuel in the tank, lines etc that would other wise be released to atmosphere. the stored hydrocarbons are then taken into the engine and burnt of. not sure with the mini's but most cars the valve to burn of the hydro carbons doesn't open until cruise conditions.

1973 south african mk3, 1275 +30 (1300), RE13 cam, hif44, mildy worked head with s sized valves, pulsar dizzy, 1.5:1 minispares forged rockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:59 pm 
998cc
998cc

steveandsash wrote:
the charcoal acts as a store for hydorcarbons which evaporate of the fuel in the tank, lines etc that would other wise be released to atmosphere. the stored hydrocarbons are then taken into the engine and burnt of. not sure with the mini's but most cars the valve to burn of the hydro carbons doesn't open until cruise conditions.

after 25 years, would that theory still hold? also, would the switch to premium unleaded petrol have made any difference? i had smoke coming out of my unit today, and i've not had that before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:07 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

i have 2 charcoal canisters, and I was cleaning one up today for fitting next week.....one is full of charcoal, the other is empty.....

Anyone wanna guess which one is going in?? :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:09 pm 
998cc
998cc

J_A_M wrote:
i have 2 charcoal canisters, and I was cleaning one up today for fitting next week.....one is full of charcoal, the other is empty.....

Anyone wanna guess which one is going in?? :wink: :lol:

i was thinking that maybe a small oil filter catridge type jobby, if you could get one to fit? that way if a cop did pull you over and want to have a look, it might look like it does something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:10 pm 
848cc
848cc

that is still the theory and every single car sold in australia to this day has to have one still. but are nicely all hidden away in gaurds behind bumpers etc.
don't know how or why it was blowing smoke but.

1973 south african mk3, 1275 +30 (1300), RE13 cam, hif44, mildy worked head with s sized valves, pulsar dizzy, 1.5:1 minispares forged rockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:11 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

The charcoal canister is supposed to be serviced every 20,000km and replaced every 40,000km. Has this been done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:25 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Morris 1100 wrote:
and replaced every 40,000km. Has this been done?

:lol: I bet back in the day it might have been....part of a regular service maybe?? That's pretty funny though.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:26 pm 
998cc
998cc

Morris 1100 wrote:
The charcoal canister is supposed to be serviced every 20,000km and replaced every 40,000km. Has this been done?

i can safely say no. so i think i'll be looking in to that during the week. for the moment i have it d/c. i thought it'd be a prudent time to ask some questions about them, 'cos we're stuck with them, and if someone has a better way of doing it (for car, environment, or both), them i'm all ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:35 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

You can pull the canister apart and replace the charcoal. You buy it from a pet shop, they use it in fish tank filters. :wink:

The charcoal canister is mostly harmless, it does not harm performance (it don't help either!) I would leave it on if I had one. I may even change the charcoal every ten years!

I don't think the problem is the canister. The system is supposed to suck from the canister into the the engine.

You should have a hose from the canister to the rocker cover and a hose from the oil seperator to the inlet manifold (near the carby) You should also have a non vented oil cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

Morris 1100 wrote:
You can pull the canister apart and replace the charcoal. You buy it from a pet shop, they use it in fish tank filters. :wink:

The charcoal canister is mostly harmless, it does not harm performance (it don't help either!) I would leave it on if I had one. I may even change the charcoal every ten years!

I don't think the problem is the canister. The system is supposed to suck from the canister into the the engine.

You should have a hose from the canister to the rocker cover and a hose from the oil seperator to the inlet manifold (near the carby) You should also have a non vented oil cap.

i believe i have most of this. i have a hose to the rocker cover, there's a hose that runs to something mounted on the firewall near the cannister, and i have another hose (complete with extra bit of garden hose on the end of it ;)) that connects to my air filter housing. my air filter housing has a hole on the left hand side (and 2" diameter) that i've seen other people connected up somewhere with a flexible type hose, but i've no idea where to. i also have a non vented oil cap, as far as i know.

i'll look to grab some fresh charcoal during the week to put in as a start. anyone else have any other good ideas to input re this sort of thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:57 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

TALK ABOUT GOOD TIMING.... :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 55821&rd=1

We can sleep easy now......you can buy them new! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:26 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

"and every single car sold in australia to this day has to have one still."

Made after 1972........ so my 68 does NOT have one...... :P

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:34 pm 
religious status
religious status

Amazing place, Australia- they legislate all these emission control things into law via ADRs, then nobody gives a toss whether they are there, or working!
Ditto air pumps, gulp valves etc etc.
When's the last time you saw a Clubbie with an air pump still, that actually works.. :lol: