Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Steering rack movement.
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:28 am 
1098cc
1098cc

A second question as usual.

The steering rack on my MK2 is very unstable. The mechanic when he saw it said it might be the wrong size and hed replace it, but in the end he just tightened it up and it was ok for a while but now its moving again. The movement is bw the outer and inner steering column and some up and down movement (very minor).

I took it apart myself awhile ago and added a lowering bracket (did undo the bottom 4 nuts) and it was tight for awhile again but started moving after a week. I think I'd have to put more padding bushes bw the columns to stop the side movement (the lowering bracket prob doesnt add stability either) but how can I stop the up and down movement and how all this dancing around might be affecting the rack and pinion?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:52 am 
religious status
religious status

If it's loose in the outer column it's the upper bush worn.

If it moves up and down ie. in & out, could be the pinch bolt loose, or the slot has closed up. If so take it off and stick a hacksaw thru it again. There must be a gap there when the bolt has been tightened, or the spline inside will wear and strip.

A friend of mine put his Mini up a kerb and thru someone's garden last week because of this. DON'T take chances..!