Ausmini
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:50 am 
848cc
848cc

simon k wrote:
exactly the right wheels for the car - nice work

Can't be a truer word said. It looks awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

Just read thro your thread & home page, mate your doing a fantastic job and I will look forward to more pictures and updates :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

OK, long time in the works, time for a big update.

Had Frank (the engineer) round again yesterday for the second check. It doesn't actually look a lot different from last time, but he was happy enough with it. Main thing he was looking at was the frame gusseting. He had a few recommendations for various areas but basically gave me the green light to go on building and call him when I have it running.

Anyway, we all love pics so here is a bunch of them. Sorry if i'm repeating anything.

Roughly 2 years in the making here is the 90% finished subframe. Few more gussets to add, and maybe slot the holes for a camber eccentric bolt, then its off to be welded.

The rear engine mount. Still need to pick up that other bolt hole, but Frank wanted a folded return on it so I'll have to get the local steel place to fold it up for me.

The shifter cable mount.

From the back.

From the front

Also, I've got some spares, (thanks Damian!) a pair of subframes for the bags (and it was helpful to show the engineer a 'before' and 'after') and also this, the Morris 1100 equivalent of a Ford XR8 bonnet, the 1500 bonnet with power bulge...

It's not super attractive, but it allows me heaps of room the run a massive top mount (thinking that XR6 cooler might fit) and whatever type of scoop or vent I decide on later after testing it. It's also lighter than the standard one.

Did find this as well. Doh!
Still, I think that's the worst of it.

That's about it all the actual progress for now.

I'm going to order new master cylinders from the UK, then look at running new brake lines in the engine bay. Once the bay is looking OK it will be up on the roisserie for any body mods and repairs, then running new fuel and hydro lines. Maybe even exhaust while it's up there.

Seems to have taken so long to get here, but it finally feels like I might be coming up to a milestone.

Thanks for all you help guys.

Madmorrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:32 pm 
This space for rent

Great update mate, looks like you're making some real progress there 8)

I'll get off my lazy arse one of these days and poke my head in for a first-hand look, still keen for a welding demo ;)

The adventures of an owner builder in the Tallarook Ranges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:31 pm 
the King of Bling

Thats amazing amount of work :shock: in so many aspects

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:40 pm 
Yay For Hay!

there's some really neat ideas in there - well done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

Looking good mate. Can't wait to see how it goes and handles when shes done. Keep up the good work.
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Yep, nice work MM. Cant wait to see it finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 am 
1360cc
1360cc

On the home stretch now. Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:28 pm 
998cc
998cc

Well, not much is happening.
I'm still working out how to do the camber adjustment. Back to adjusters on the frame.
Was going to try to get arms fabbed, but welded suspension is not allowed. Seems weird when most factory arms are welded. I did drop off the steering column to be welded/pinned as per engineers advice. That will have to be x-rayed, but it is only 1 weld. The arms could be x-rayed as well but it adds a lot to the price.

By my calculations I only need 3mm or so of movement of the lower ball joint per degree of camber, so it's back to working out how to get that to work in my frame without redoing the whole thing.

These arrived today though. Only shiny bits so far so I had to sit them on and take a pic.

[img]http://www.counterfeit.net.au/morris/images/NewMasterCyls[01].JPG[/img]

Cheers
Madmorrie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:01 am 
Yay For Hay!

madmorrie wrote:

It's not super attractive, but it allows me heaps of room the run a massive top mount (thinking that XR6 cooler might fit) and whatever type of scoop or vent I decide on later after testing it. It's also lighter than the standard one.

from what I gather about intercoolers, aerodynamics etc. a top mount intercooler with a scoop will never be as effective as a front mount, and you do have quite a lot of space behind the grille (comparatively at least)

if you work out a way of fitting a front mount, I reckon it'll look better, and work better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:21 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

It depends how a top mount is used in relation the bonnet scoop. The main negative with a front mount is the hugely long intake tract you have to use. So your throttle response is shot.
So if you use a top mount and put a bit of thought into positioning it properly you can get other gains. Im planning to use a rear facing scoop with a top mount, so the top mount can suck the high pressure off the front of the windscreen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:09 pm 
998cc
998cc

As much as it it looks like there is a lot of room for a front mount, the space is quite limited. I had worked out how to do it (see back a few pages) but there were reservations about how the cooling system would go with the front mount in front of the rad as well. I have considered water to air as well and finally decided to just try the top mount to get it all going. This bonnet gives me a bunch of room up top to run a large top mount. I'll get it going and do some testing to see weather air wants to go in a scoop, or come out a vent. With the large front grill area it is likely to be the latter.

I still have all the other bits anyway, so could change to either later on if testing proves it to be worthwhile.

Thanks for your input though, a healthy discussion can often help with these matters

Now does anyone have an easy answer on how to get adjustable lower control arms??

Cheers
Madmorrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:48 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

It's good to see my old junk getting put to good use Ross and that bonnet will look sweet when the paint goes on.

Have you anymore Jim Beam, I've finished that box. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:28 pm 
998cc
998cc

Sorry Damian, all out. I'm surprised it lasted this long. Wouldn't have round here.

I did consider leaving the bonnet as is, and then fitting those doors and bootlid to got for a rat look with mismatched and weathered paint, but I think it will end up shiny in the end.

However long that takes...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next