Ausmini
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

thick walled steam pipe is your friend :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:42 am 
998cc
998cc

Mearcat wrote:
While you have the manifold etc off, fabricate a brace between the turbo and block, or dump pipe and block. I've seen manifolds crack before under the (unsupported) weight of a turbo and exhaust.

Yep, the dump pipe was braced.

So where do people get flanges cut? Exhaust shop?

Toyota 4EFTE Powered Minivan.
102 Kw @ The Front Wheels....Oh What a Feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I read that stainless doesn't like to be wrapped as it does weird things and makes it crack. Might not be true but I remember reading it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:38 am 
998cc
998cc

floss wrote:
I read that stainless doesn't like to be wrapped as it does weird things and makes it crack. Might not be true but I remember reading it.

Some people have said that, but also most things you read say that Stainless cracks due to thermal shock and/or thermal cycling.
My logic says that the wrapping should help this as it will let the manifold cool slower than and more evenly than if the manifold was exposed to cool air.
IE: the flanges would stay hotter for longer as they are thicker and bolted to the hot turbo and head, where as the piping would cool quicker due to its lower thermal mass. :?
It will probably see higher temps with the wrapping, but less thermal shock... Can anyone help me out here? :?:

Oh well, I'm thinking along these lines:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400181167176&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
or
http://speedvisioncps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=203
The speedvision one is the one I'm leaning towards as it seems to be better made and better after sales backup from what I've heard.
I also might just get the full TD04 kit from speedvision with the oil and water lines etc, as I just don't seem to have the time to spend in the garage at the moment, and want the mini going soon. (Same reason I'm not going to have a crack at making one myself.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Heat wrapping is better, as there is less thermal shock as you say.
But its still only thin stainless, a thicker one wouldnt have that problem. And a steel one is better again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:07 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Have you splurged out on anything yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:00 am 
998cc
998cc

In between trip interstate, I've ordered the Speedvision setup for my TF035. :D
I went for their whole convesion kit, (http://speedvisioncps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=169) which gives me all the water and oil lines, gaskets etc and saves me having to d!ck around with all that.

Still waiting for it to arrive (I've heard these guys can be a liitle slow in the sending process. :? )

In the meantime, I've pulled the compressor and exhaust housings off the turbo and ground off the locating pins to allow me to rotate the housings relative to the bearing block of the turbo.
I'll put up pics of this process if anyone's interested, but there is a how to on the austarletclub forum, if you're looking for info.

Lets just say it was a pain in the butt, especially if the exhaust housing was rusted in place like mine was. :x
The compressor housing was even worse due to a big circlip which required 2 people and a bunch of swears to get out. (An alternative might be time and patience, but I couldn't find either in my toolbox. :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

'77 clubby van wrote:

So where do people get flanges cut? Exhaust shop?

FYI - If you or anyone else is looking in the future, I can get more of these cut:

http://ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54363&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15