Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:38 pm 
Daffodil 1275

Quote:
Oil is a regererative source, we just use it faster than it reproduces itself.
If all the cars of the world went electric, there'd be plenty of oil to go round.
Gearbox oil lasts longer than engine oil anyway

Oil is definitely not a regenerative source, It was produced in two breif periods in the earths history and it will never happen again. I have done a lot of research on oil and things are looking pretty grim. Peak oil has probably already happened if not its happening now, talking about taking food from poorer nations, its estimated the natuarally the world can only feed between 1.5 to 2 billion people without the use of fertilizers which are petroleum based (made from oil) the world population is now above 6 billion, thats 4 to 4.5 billion starving people, not cool..

Quote:
thats a cool idea, but something that has given me the shits for a while is why cant you attatch an alternator to a pulley off the electric motor so the batteries dont go flat?

You cannot do this as the extra power required to turn the generator/alternator is more than it would put back into the batteries( nothing is 100% efficient) and even if it was there would be no point as you would just be transfering the power from batteries to generator and back again, It is something many people have asked me.

"E"Mini, 144volt, 600 amp, 86kw from the get go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:55 pm 
This space for rent

cooper69 wrote:
thats 4 to 4.5 billion starving people, not cool..

And that's just a matter of time. It won't be in my lifetime, but it probably will be in my kids'.

The adventures of an owner builder in the Tallarook Ranges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:00 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

sgc wrote:
cooper69 wrote:

And that's just a matter of time. It won't be in my lifetime, but it probably will be in my kids'.

This is way off track now

Some non-starving kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:18 pm 
998cc
998cc

meeni wrote:
thats a cool idea, but something that has given me the shits for a while is why cant you attatch an alternator to a pulley off the electric motor so the batteries dont go flat?

Why can't you install alternators at the front of the car with a fan attachment, and drive it by wind with the forward motion of the car, and install solar panels on the roof and bonnet?

Member VMCI #19

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:28 pm 
Daffodil 1275

Quote:
Why can't you install alternators at the front of the car with a fan attachment, and drive it by wind with the forward motion of the car, and install solar panels on the roof and bonnet

Its the same principle as the alternator on the engine, the extra energy required to push the car to turn the fan is less than the fan will supply into the batteries. Solar panels on the roof will work though, but the extra range gained from the power produced by the solar panels while driving would be small. If it was to sit all day in a sunny spot this could supply a little more energy.

Quote:

Yeah and by then the population will probably have doubled!!! Scary!!

"E"Mini, 144volt, 600 amp, 86kw from the get go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:48 pm 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

meeni wrote:

you could charge it if you had it connected to a non-driven wheel..

mostly while coasting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:03 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

cush wrote:
meeni wrote:

you could charge it if you had it connected to a non-driven wheel..

mostly while coasting...
So you might as well use the motor as dynamic braking to charge the battery on the overrun as well as supplying braking force.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:10 pm 
This space for rent

Morris 1100 wrote:
So you might as well use the motor as dynamic braking to charge the battery on the overrun as well as supplying braking force.

They call that 'regenerative braking' these days ;)

The adventures of an owner builder in the Tallarook Ranges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:18 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

sgc wrote:
Morris 1100 wrote:

They call that 'regenerative braking' these days ;)
They can call it whatever they want, I know what it is. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:15 pm 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

i was going to say "you could add it onto the axels for chargin while coasting"

but then i wasn't sure if i had the physics right..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:55 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Soon, they will have body panels that double as solar cells - ultra thin and ultra efficient. High-efficiency motors, tidal generators and huge windfarms on non arable land.. Not to mention high capacity discharge batteries that leave todays Lithium Polymers (Li-Po) for dead.

Its not all doom and gloom!

Also, we produce enough food to feed every living being on earth - its just that the west is so wasteful and greedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

I hear the "ultra efficient photovoltaics" aren't in the too distant future either. The major problem with todays solar panels are a combination of short life (relatively speaking), low efficiencies and the amount of carbon emission to make one....

I'm more interested in a combination of geothermal technology coupled with tidal power generation and while doing all that using the power at the coast to desalinate water.... but i suppose every little bit helps - solar, wind, geo, tidal, radioactive... i'm sure there are more that i can't think of!

Back to the topic however, a gearbox replacement without lubricant.. my answer is a CVT... however how wil we make the belts without oil as a base product?.... probably some sort of synthetic belt i guess....

Last edited by amos on Thu May 22, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

Forgot to mention - love the car, love the concept and sooner rather than later you'll be able to reap the rewards of high efficient photovoltaics and batteries..

REALLY got me thinking, as i'm at the making of the subframe stage whether i should change the project into something a little more interesting than a (what seems to be a run of the mill) 4EFTE conversion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:04 am 
998cc
998cc

DOZ wrote:
sgc wrote:
cooper69 wrote:

This is way off track now

Some non-starving kids

they look awfully a lot like my cousins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:01 am 
1098cc
1098cc

amos wrote:
... however how wil we make the belts without oil as a base product?.... probably some sort of synthetic belt i guess....

Synthetic stuff is pretty much all made out of oil. Almost all plastics are. There are a few plastics made from plant and animal derived products but not much.

But don't worry, running out of oil just means we won't have enough of it to burn. The relatively tiny amounts required for lubrication won't be a problem, we've used plant based lubricants for years and if you think how many litres of gearbox oil a small car uses in a year compared to how many litres of petrol, its tiny. Also gearbox oil is also perfect for recycling, so it can be used more than once. You can't do that with petrol.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next