Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:57 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

thought id update my last couple of weeks of mocking up

made up some bottom bars for my frame, i didnt fancy having a heap of cut/weld type bends with angles in it so i hand bent them with a superdooper bender (its in the back ground of the pic) took me hours to get right enough because the both needed to be different, and nearly broke my hand when part of it let go.. but they clear the driveshafts sump and tie rods so happy days..

threw (literally ;) ) the motor in the front cut, and started making engine mounts, the drivers side one isnt really finished so it looks a bit agricultural, but i need to run an alternator mount off it i think so il leave it for now until i work that out, the back one isnt exciting so theres no photo of it but basically resembles the passenger side one..

and that inlet manifold is in without any cutting of the cross member, i still will to make a little more clearence to comply with vicroads... but i cut about an inch out of it and welded it back to the flange..

waiting on some parts before i continue, the pedal box i ordered arrived, but it wasnt the one i ordered which sucked a bit.. so i have to wait another few weeks before the headaches of fitting that begin.. im nearly to the stage where i can call the engineer and have him come and tell me what i need to add.. looking foward to that :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:36 pm 
Yay For Hay!

looks good Sean - I like the bent bars going underneath, they'll also give a bit of side to side flex support. See what your engineer says about bracing the spars on the front of the towers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:25 pm 
998cc
998cc

never ceaes to amaze me what can be built on a 20 buck pair of bunnos saw horses!, icf only mine could talk.

looking good. I love the g13b. you're making me excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:29 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

ooh yeah they come in handy, theyve even been away racing before :lol:

thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

hey man nice work hey :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

havnt really done much since the last update, spending some time and money getting parts together to continue mocking up.. but today i did a few bits and pieces to keep progress going

so i finally got an exhaust manifold, alternator, dissy (which i think will be redundant now) and some drive shafts so i can work out some clearances and lengths!

so i fitted the manifold and it (just) fits which was good.. not alot of space to spare but i want the motor as far as i can foward for a very good reason :wink:

i quickly tacked the bonnet catch panel back on to make sure everything missed, which it did, also fitted the radiator to check for bonnet clearance.. got heaps!

also threw the shafts in to see if they missed all the bars i spent so long bending and the answer, thankfully is yes!

then later today i found some aluminium sheet that i forgot i had, so i got a bit excited and began making the air director for the radiator..

the rad itself will be std mini aluminium china spec, i just might have to modify the top tank to clear the bonnet, no big deal

its coming together quite well i think, havnt really finished off the frame yet, il get the engineer to have a look at if first but im pretty happy that everything fits so far, but the hard part hasnt started yet.. watch this space

cheers

sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:38 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

You're restricting air flow a bit with that radiator setup, maybe you could put some holes in the bonnet with some painted mesh there to get a little more air in?
Would look cool too.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:01 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

really? my aim is to stop it floating past the hole between the radiator and the engine bay and making it go through the rad to get anywhere.. thought that was a way of doing it.. bummer..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

That sort of came out wrong. You have the right idea with the shroud, maybe just flare out the side piece as far as the slam panel support to allow a bit more air in.
Is is possible to lower the radiator at all? An inch or two would help more than you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:40 pm 
Yay For Hay!

nah, I think it's fine - suck it and see when the car is running

I'm not at all keen on this though, I thought you'd have run the bar back 6-8 inches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Yes it would be nice if it ran back to the floor pan bolts but that should still be decent enough IMO. Wait and see what the engineer says I guess...I've seen much worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

It actually runs as far as it can on the bottom of the subframe, as it tapers away on the other side etc. pic makes it look a bit shabby I must admit but it's one of those things when you see it in real life that's how it had to happen

Not something I can't fix if need be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:50 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Running the RHS further back would be clever but I don't think it would be a requirement unless you're going turbo power or something in whuch case you want it going right back to the rear subframe mounts.

What would be easy from this point is some flat bar with a bend in the end of it. The bent bit can cap off the rhs, and the rest of the flat will carry some of the loads rearwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:31 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

i have the same set up no shroud, no holes drilled in the bonnet but some drilled around the grill area.. drill holes. she cools fine.

im using a morris 1100 rad, a nice alloy rad would work better in traffic time but she never over heats.

im about to get one custom one designed for my g13b if you wanted one also let me know.

Harley wrote:
You're restricting air flow a bit with that radiator setup, maybe you could put some holes in the bonnet with some painted mesh there to get a little more air in?
Would look cool too.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:05 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

thought i should update this, havnt done a great deal, been trying to decide on my configuration as to how im going to put fuel in it, i bought a supercharger with the intention of doing that but cost + time + effort = cant be f*cked, so im going to stay with n/a which im fairly confident of getting 120-130hp at the wheels with the mods i have planned for the engine which is plenty for a street car for now.. can always play later if i get bored but the gearboxes go bang too easily with much more then that.. im also ditching injection for quad motorcycle carbs with megajolt ignition. i know injection is better, but for me i want the car to be something i can always play with so carbs became a better tuning option for me. that, and my wiring is already there and i spent a hell of alot of money on it and dont really want to re loom the whole car just for 2-3 hp.

frames getting there.. i seam welded most of it over the weekend, just got to talk to the engineer about some extra bracing etc..

changed my front right engine mount around a bit and made the alternator bracket from it

motor in the frame..

so thats how it looks at the moment, obviously will be making a new manifold for the carbs.. il try and do a bit more over the next month or so and try and get it near completion, id actually like to run the engine in the mock up front if i can to make sure all systems are go before i pull meeni apart..

cheers

sean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next