Ausmini
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

3 years sounds like a long time, but I guess it's all relative to how much spare time you have to throw at it.

In regards to the subframe, I already have a subby I built up with new everything, so that's taken care of. Just have to strip it back down and modify.

I have taken everything you and JC have said into account, in regards to effort and outcome.

I'm on the look out for a CB70 motor now, but failing finding of those, i'll go the 4EFTE.
And i'll just have to bug you a lot ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:21 pm 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

This is a great motor:
http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/p/5790487/nissan-sr16ve-n15-engine.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:29 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

N15 Pulsar motor right?

Haven't seen one of those done before.

Good food for thought, looking through that website now

Not sure how good of an idea it would be for me to do something no one has done before though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:09 pm 
Yay For Hay!

if you're going to do something Nissan, bnicho and I want to see someone do a Micra (March) super-turbo = 930cc with a turbo and supercharger

and initial design, that's the style of frame I want to do - except I don't like how the drivers side spar is coming out from the front of the tower - do it the same way you have the passenger side spar, only make it go around/through the outside of the tower, and I'd do it on both sides... once again going back to turboorangie's design on his traveller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

My only thought for doing the driver's side one hanging off the front of the tower is that if they both come from the inside, there might not be enough room to get the motor in from the top.

The way the CG13DE motor is, I was expect you could lower it in at an angle to get the box under the passenger side bar.

I guess they could both mount along the inside of the towers and then bend around to be inline as if they were hung from the front.

I thought about the March superturbo motor Simon, but they seem hard to get a hold of in good order.

I'm happy to do any kind of motor, as long as it's availiable.

Motors that come to mind, in no partcular order:

CG13DE
MA09ERT
4EFTE
CB70/80

The MA09ERT, would be great, except 108HP doesn't sound that impressive, from a twin charged motor.
A twin charged motor from the 80's in good nick, from such a short run of cars must be nigh impossible to source

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Was this super turbo engine available in a car sold out here?
I found an engine I wanted to put in a mini at one stage, the whole frontcut low kays from a japanese car that was not sold here when it was new, engineers I spoke to said it would have to be emissions tested at a cost of a few grand, which would've been money better put to use in another engine or subframe combo that would get through easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:46 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Harley wrote:
I found an engine I wanted to put in a mini at one stage, the whole frontcut low kays from a japanese car that was not sold here when it was new, engineers I spoke to said it would have to be emissions tested at a cost of a few grand, which would've been money better put to use in another engine or subframe combo that would get through easier.

pfft, find a different engineer - Starlet GTs weren't sold in Australia either, none of those have been emissions tested

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:19 pm 
religious status
religious status

simon k wrote:
Harley wrote:

pfft, find a different engineer - Starlet GTs weren't sold in Australia either, none of those have been emissions tested

Not sold here officially, but...
There are grey market Starlet GTs running about, there's one up the road.
Ditto similar spec & age Nissan Pulsar Turbos...
So emissions testing can't be a real big deal, for a Starlet GT anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:23 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Maybe go for a suzuki Alto works conversion. 3cyl turbo 4x4. :lol:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:42 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I've been looking for a decently priced MA09ERT or a CB70/80 for years. So far nothing under $3K that ran. I'm not paying that much for a donor car.

I met a guy at a Motorkhana 3-4 years with a Nissan EXA ago who claimed to have an MA09ERT in his shed. I didn't get his number before he left and I haven't seen the dude since. :(

1966 Austin Mini
1965 Morris Mini Traveller
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:24 pm 
998cc
998cc

Great project Adam, maybe a couple more options to consider,
sorry don't know the engine codes so maybe on your list already

Diahatsu Sirion GTiv 1.3 lt, 16 valve, 75kw
Dawoo Maitz, only 34kw from 800cc so not that powerfull but only 3 cyls, maybe easy fit, had these things pass me at 120k's on the freeway so must go alright once they are wound up.

On your orginal model do you need to cut out the front lower suspension mount
to fit the driveshafts through, I think all subby's I've seen have have had to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

4EFTE is starting to look real good then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:08 am 
998cc
998cc

the 4efte is an ancient engine, the cg13de makes more torque in NA form than the 4efte and torque is power which is especially noticeable in a vehicle as light as a mini. assuming you get a fairly late model it will have vvti among other things so it will only use a fraction of the fuel of a 4efte and will deliver is power better.

Having said that there is a better after market for the 4efte in both mini parts and genreal rebuild components so the final choice is up to you.

That price list that was posted is assuming you pay someone to make every individual component, which I doubt anyone does, with mates rates and diy it will only be a fraction of that.

In short good on you for pushing the envelope, don't give in to these people saying there preferred 20 year old engine is better or you might as well listen to some saying that technology peaked with the a series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:27 am 
1275cc
1275cc

K11 Micras are rallied a lot in the UK, so apparently there are plenty of aftermarket goodies.

I'm interested in doing a 4EFTE, but also a CG13DE.

Perhaps start small with the nissan motor, and build a hand grenade later.

I am not sure if the VVTI motor is available, because if you get a post 98? motor, it has NATS (Nissan Anti Theft System) which is apparently all kinds of hell to deal with.

Perhaps I should just flip a coin :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:23 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I'm doing every single part on my car including all fab and mechanical work and I can tell you I've spent nearly 3 grand already and I'm in the early stages. I also thought it would be cheap. It's not. I'm using a g13b, which is ancient yes, but I don't care about that as long as it goes well.

And the 4efte in question is the turbocharged gt version, so not the slower then a wet week Australian delivered version.

Back on the micra though, did they even sell the early ones out here? Or did Nissan just use the same engine in the ugly new bubble?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next