Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:42 pm 
Milatsmadmini

Lookin good Nick! sh1t luck about engine, onya Tricky for getting it sorted! Cant wait to see more pics

“A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Gees, bet the engine was a shock. Sorry to see that Nick, I wouldn't have liked to find it.

I had a spare bonnet there for you too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:50 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Was a bummer about the motor! I've got 2 at home in unknown condition... Hopefully they're both ok

Post subject: Floor de rusted
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:39 pm 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

Thanks for the words Matt.

JC, yeah was a shock as I was just going to go easy on the engine and hope for the best. Obviously I never even got to do that. However, I would rather be in my position than like Josh (MiniMad) who drove around for two weeks before blowing his engine). Too late for the bonnet! Tricky has finished the bonnet apart from the colouring in bit. I thought I had all the bits now anyway.

Gordo I hope your engines are ok! It isn't too bad really. I had money there for things and it has got to a point where I want it done and will just siphon money off of things that I don't need for the build e.g. engine internals rather than LSD. I'll be only doing one wheel skids in this car instead of two wheel skids! Might help my driveshafts last longer. Tricky thought there was something wrong as soon as the engine couldn't be turned over - you could always try yours!

Back into updates: Still working my way through the pictures Tricky has sent me in various emails. Getting closer to being up to date now:
^Some new bits welded in where the cross member had been hacked in the past.

I think in the photo where there is a hole present, Tricky had a piece of metal fly off while wire wheeling (was just glued on, rather than welded).

Some more pics of the floor:

The floor wasn't as good as everything would suggest it would've been. Tricky has also cut off the gearshifter brackets and is going to come up with some better ones for the carpet to go over and to mount a centre console to. Anyway, that pretty much brings me up to where Tricky is up to at the moment with the build.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:39 pm 

Some wheels for it: 12x6" Force Racing Wheels with Yokohama A048R rubber. Still need balancing but I've arranged for my brother in law to balance them for me where he works so at least I know they will be looked after while in the shop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

They look nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:55 pm 
Die Die Die!!

i considered getting those wheel, and they do look nice

but i didnt get them because i think it will be a task and a half to get between the edge of the rim and the centre when cleaning them

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 pm 

Thanks guys.

Nick, you are spot on with the cleaning but the missus liked them a lot so I'll live with it. Even giving them a clean after installing the tyres I noticed how hard it was to clean right up to the edge.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:56 pm 

What's better than an update on a Saturday night? Probably a lot of things for other people but that isn't going to stop me!

Mr Archangel has been busy over the last week with body work:

^Trial fitting some new sportspack flares (note freshly powdercoated subframe has been reinstalled with all new bushings).

^I've decided to see how the car rides on these springs. These are the softest ones you can get from the supplier that I bought them from.

^Boot area is pretty much done. Just waiting on a couple of earls fittings for the fuel pump to join everything up. The space in the middle of everything is for a subwoofer if the missus decides she wants to be pushed along the road by watts rather than pulled by horsepower.

^All new rubbers fitted throughout the doors.

^More rust, this time in the corner of the boot lid (lower left - passenger side for those interested). Tricky is supposed to be having his main body work man coming over tomorrow to get his opinion on it but looks like it will be rust converted and patched up as it is in a bugger of a spot to cut and shut.

In other news, more purchasing has been done to ensure work keeps moving on Trickys end. A new moto lita steering wheel, an aerial and some switches with connectors and stuff for the interior. I have dropped the wheels / tyres off to my bro-in-law to get balanced on Monday so hopefully it shouldn't be too long before I get to see the car with at least rear wheels on (for colour combination - missus choice of wheel colour). Not much else happening on my end.

I hope you enjoyed the post!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:14 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Lots happening!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:09 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I have been thinking of doing a similar setup for my washer bottle. Looks neat.
What type of fuse setup have you used there?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:13 am 

I don't know what fuse Tricky used specifically as he's never mentioned the brand to me. Hopefully he'll see this and comment for you. He just went ahead and did it and I'm the kind of person that believes a standard mini needs more fuses than it came out of the factory with. With this one there is only a short amount of cable from the battery positive to the fuse so I think they are a great idea! The washer bottle is one out of a wrecked crummydore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:42 pm 

Hi everyone. I am in the possession of more photos so they are shown below. These are all of the flares getting fitted. You will note that these are not standard sportspack flares, there is no bumper recess, no side repeater recess and no lip at the back where the flares mould onto the seam on the sill panel. The fronts are more 'in progress' than the rears but it is all coming together:

^I didn't want the major surgery of tubbing the rear wheel wells of the car to suit the arches. Tricky has modified the arch as much as he can, adjusted and brought it down and is going to fill in the gap. Tricky and I think it is the best way to go as the amount of work involved in making the bodywork suit the flare is tremendous.

Also one of the rust in the boot. Going down the path of fibre glassing over the damage after it has been rust converted a couple of times:

That's it for now as that was a couple of days worth of photos from Tricky combined into a single post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:46 pm 
848cc
848cc

She"s looking good there Nick

A fine craftsman our young Tricky :D

Cheers Hallsey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:05 pm 
Milatsmadmini

mmmmm loving all these progress pics! makes me jealous! :(

Looking forward to the final product Nick, colour scheme staying like that? (ie. white flares etc?)

“A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next