Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

this thing is awesome, giving me ideas, bad ideas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 am 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

Another update now that Tricky is back on deck!

On to the pics:

^Tricky is laying up some glass for the centre console it will have. Still waiting on the dash to come through. Hopefully it will be here soon but there was a 6 week lead time on it.

^Brake tabs

^Gaskets, bearings and ARP goodies

^The last two are of the underside of the block, it had to be notched to clear the new forged rods that are going into it.

^Pistons in

^Upside down block showing rods assembled

^Head assembled and valves lapped. Came out pretty good considering where it came from (a dam, a river????? :P )

^Engine assembled

^Engine in (hopefully for last time)

^Alternator mounted

^Honda Civic rear trailing arms (these are the buggers that made Tricky crook - sorry about that mate)

^Rear discs inside the wheels

I hope you enjoyed the update. As you can see Tricky has been moving along nicely and now everyone is caught up to where he was mid week this week. Hopefully by now, the turbo should be mounted up and maybe some of the piping has been thought about. Time will tell but there will be more to come!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:25 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Jesus those wheels looks awesome. Why the need for rear discs Nick?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:15 pm 

Didn't NEED them per se, when Tricky talked to the engineer he thought it was advisable to have rear brakes but not mandatory. Being an engineer myself, I know it is easier to go with what an engineer recommends rather than ignoring them. It might help later down the track in easing some thing else through.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:14 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Hey mate bloody awesome build. Really top quality work there.

With the rear brakes what is the stud pcd? Are the wheels a standard mini pattern.

Cheers Rodney

Minis..

1976 van daily drive
1975 van
1968 deluxe in the shed
1967 deluxe high strung 1310
1959 austin healey sprite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 am 

Hey Rodney, thanks for the kind words but it is all Tricky! The rear brakes (civic) are 4x100 PCD so will be redrilled to 4x101.6 (4x4") for a mini. The wheels are a standard mini stud pattern (4x4").

Onto some pics! Tricky has been busy and I haven't in doing updates so here are a couple of updates worth of pictures. He has also mentioned to me that he is hopeful it will be running by the end of the month!

^Turbo position over the gearbox

^Clutch line and Dakota Digital sender in place

^This is the fibreglass dash that the bride chose for the interior of the car.

^Turbo pipework from the front

^Turbo from the top

^Speed sensor for the DD gauges

^Speed sensor again, installed

^Water temp sensor

^Oil pressure sensor

^This is the template for the universal DD gauges sitting on the dash (I posted a pic of them a page or two back).

^Tricky ended up cutting a brass thread on his lathe for the oil filter

^The turbo has been moved so there is plenty of space for the oil filter so it is going to live in the standard spot. Easy access through the grille and I'm not going to have to get up under the guard to change the oil.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:34 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Any updates?

www.minisinthegong.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:44 pm 

Nah mate. The bride and I both just recently changed jobs on the same day and some other stuff happened so the car is back at home. We are also using the opportunity to get some more money together as everything seems to need more money than originally planned. It will be going back to trickys and he's still got some stuff for it down in his shed. It'll be finished while we have it but it'll probably happen in a few months time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:45 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Can you please do some saving for me also....?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:09 pm 

Ok so bit of an update. As you all know the car is back with me and moving at a glacial pace.

I managed to spend a bit of time on the lathe/mill today and I have started making some brackets to bolt the rear calipers on to. I've only made the lower portion so far. Anyway, onto the pictures!

^Take stock and lop a piece off.
^Turn down to size on the lathe
^Start taking some passes to flatten off the sides.
^I ended up setting up a dial gauge on the ways of the lathe to see how far off the piece was. After a bit of mucking around I had the piece aligned to withing around 0.002" from parallel with the y (??) axis of the lathe (from end to end). Close enough for me and it should still fit together ok.
^Final passes
^End on shot after finish
^Remove from lathe and admired my handy work.
^1/4" channel and I love the way freshly machined parts feel in the palm of your hand!

If that doesn't really make sense to you, here is a word picture: the lip that I have milled into this part will overlap into an upper part that this bit will hang from. The caliper will bolt to this bit that I've made. The reason for this is I needed to space the caliper about 28mm away from the flange where the three bolts hold the drum back plate. I still need to drill holes for the caliper and also some holes for some bolts on the other side to the 'U' bit. I thought this would make a better connection than just bolting flat bits together. Hopefully the engineer likes it - if he doesn't all that has been wasted is my time as I already had some stock lying around that I'd bought previously.

I am hoping to make the top bit of the bracket tomorrow. Hopefully more pics to follow.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:29 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I wish I had access to that sort of gear

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:47 pm 

The other problem is if you do have access to this stuff, you then need time to use it! Generally that's where it falls down for me.

Gordo, if you want something machined and have plenty of time before you need it, let me know and I'll give it a crack for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Nice bit of machining there Nick!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:07 pm 

Thanks Tricky. Only had up to 1" thick stock so I needed a spacer to get the caliper out further (as said I need around 28mm) so I dreamt up this more-complicated-than-you-could-realistically-get-away-with solution. Not quick but I think it looks sweet and it won't be welded

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:19 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Yeah, good show!!

Sometimes the more complicated solutions turn out to be the better option - cant wait to see them mounted up.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next