Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:41 am 
Die Die Die!!

another few months have passed.. and still no major updates..

a friend is doing some final touches on my mini to make it suitable to transportation to Darwin, once this occurs i hope to have some more frequent updates for you all.

meanwhile i have received a couple of boxes recently with what i hope will be the radiator and hopefully a suitable AC Condenser, they both look good so fingers crossed !

i hope to purchase a loom from Rywire in the coming weeks to make wiring a crap load easier.. partly because the interior loom i have is half missing making it quite difficult to work out what's going on.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:52 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Just so you know, the Rywire loom may not be plug and play to your engine / ECU. Check all the sensors for what it caters for and compare to what you need.
I bought one but got rid of it again cause I decided it would be less work to mod the original Honda loom than mod the Rywire one to fit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:41 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Harley wrote:
Just so you know, the Rywire loom may not be plug and play to your engine / ECU. Check all the sensors for what it caters for and compare to what you need.
I bought one but got rid of it again cause I decided it would be less work to mod the original Honda loom than mod the Rywire one to fit.

since my engine is standard, (besides COP) i didnt think there would be an issue

what sensor was the rywire missing that you needed ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:06 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

It's your lucky day - I found some rough notes I left for myself from 6 years ago.
Make of it what you will - I never took it any further than this so don't have answers:

Missing wires:
Air conditioning switch input
Air conditioning clutch output
Starter signal / power backup
Diagnostic plug data link
Alternator controller
Evap purge control

Extra wires not needed for Aussie car:
Knock sensor
Electrical Load detector for alternator

Now, all of these items wouldn't stop you starting the car - but I wanted AC in my car and I also was using the stock Honda Alternator which had a different plug and number of wires to the one in the Rywire kit I had at the time.
Not having the purge valve controller was an emissions issue and I wanted to be able to retain diagnostic functions.
The other thing I didn't like was the 'Mil-spec' wiring - it was really light gauge and I ran some current calcs on it for the mm² of wire and it seemed way overloaded to me. All wires were also the same colour making trouble shooting down the line with honda circuit diagrams difficult.

I could have modded the loom to make it work, but for the $800 it cost me I didn't want to butcher it and mess it up - so I sold it, got my money back, bought $80 worth of shrink wrap, insulated automotive connectors and crimpers, and modded the honda loom myself. Haven't had a single problem with it.

I'll be pulling it out of the car later this year when it gets painted - if I remember I can take photos for you of what I ended up with.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:26 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Harley wrote:
The other thing I didn't like was the 'Mil-spec' wiring - it was really light gauge and I ran some current calcs on it for the mm² of wire and it seemed way overloaded to me. All wires were also the same colour making trouble shooting down the line with honda circuit diagrams difficult.

That sounds particularly poor, these are the main reasons I'd choose someone else to produce a wiring loom, they have access to different colours and gauge wires, and the technical knowledge to size them correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:23 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Poorly chosen and rated wiring is one thing...but the right MIL-SPEC wire for the right application, is another thing altogether!

https://www.sycor.com/blog/post/mil-spe ... explained/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:08 am 
Die Die Die!!

through my reading on the rywire website my understanding was the looms with just the standard black wiring wernt the milspec option but the basic budget option, and that the milspec looms had full honda wire colour codes (thought this might have changed since Harley bought his loom)

i still havnt worked out what my plan of attach is with the loom.. but i also want to run AC, but besides one wire it shouldnt connect with the ECU and can use all the original mini loom for that

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:57 pm 
Die Die Die!!

a small update.. project isnt dead, a friend is still sorting a few things out before it goes to the panel shop to get the drivers side floor repaired as someone has previously welded a plate over a hole and done the dodgy

started trying to sort the wiring out while i dont have the car handy,

i started with stripping down the chopped interior portion of loom i was supplied

in the end i ended up with something like this..

and this is all the wires i have removed so far..

i may need to replace one of those wires later.. but we will see how we go, i was pretty happy that there didnt seem to be missing too much from the loom surprisingly

i also took the time to label all the wires coming out from the Honda guage cluster

and yet another package has arrived with parts, this time it was my Distributor Delete cap, and Coil on Plug mounting plate

thats all fokls

Last edited by _666_ on Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:12 pm 
998cc
998cc

Love the work

1967 mini Cooper S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:18 pm 
Die Die Die!!

another small update.

since i bought the mini it always had a dodgy floor on the drivers side were someone had repaired the rust poorly, so i sent it off to Prodigy Panel have it rectified.

this is what it looked like..

turns out it had in fact been repaired dogily Twice, luckily this is basically the only rust in the vehicle.

Roger did a great job repairing this, and managed to do it in 2 days! .

least i know the floor is all solid now and has all its strengthening ripples back.

Last edited by _666_ on Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

That is a great repair! Do you know what he sealed it with? Almost looks like it could be raptor liner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:40 pm 
Die Die Die!!

jpodge wrote:
That is a great repair! Do you know what he sealed it with? Almost looks like it could be raptor liner
He just said “stone guard” so not sure specifically

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:13 pm 
Die Die Die!!

small update..

car is almost ready to transport closer to me.. so i can start on some more significant works

however im still sourcing new parts slowly, received a new B16 OBD1 engine loom today from Carrot Top Tuning for a great price of US$325, now im considering a Rywire Race Fuse box to connect to the engine loom and give me relays, fuses and to connect to the Honda Dash cluster i will integrate into my Rover Mini woodgrain dash

Last edited by _666_ on Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:13 pm 
Die Die Die!!

just a quick update..

project is moving super slowly.. but has started moving again

chopped out the cheek panels of the engine mounts today so i can fit the Hasport mounts in as they are a slightly different shape to the original mounts

also started cutting the intake up, but will need to purchase an air hacksaw or something similar to continue that

also half installed the Burton Racing COP kit, could do the rest as the car needs to be "top dead centre" to be able to dissasemble the distributor, and upon charging the battery of the mini its dead.. so that slowed the pace of doing that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6