Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thought I would share my experience in getting a 2 speed wiper motor installed in a round nose, with correct park and sweep. This is what worked for me, your results may vary!

What you will need:

2 speed motor with 110 degree gear
2 speed motor switch
Later model wheel boxes (32 teeth) with the steel tubing that connects them - important, as you need the longer tubing to cut down. Make sure you get the right ones to suit your scuttle panel.
Additional wire to connect from motor to switch.
Mounting hardware for the motor
Single speed drive cable
Patience and possibly a few lemon squashes*

1. Work out where the 2 speed motor is going to mount on the firewall. This can take a bit of guesswork and mucking around, but bear in mind that the single speed mounting holes may not line up with the 2 speed motor (I had to drill new holes).

2.You will need to modify the steel tubing between the wheel boxes - on later models it is longer than it needs to be. Easiest way I found to work out the length for between the 2 wheel boxes was to insert them into the scuttle from the outside - centre the spindles in the hole, and measure the distance between the slots in the wheel box. Measure twice, cut once! This is important, as you will need to flare the end you have just cut so that it sits in the slot - you don't want to be too short as your spindles will not sit centred in the scuttle holes. The flaring is needed so that the tube does not slip out of the wheel box.

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

You will need to do the same with the tube that goes from the wheel box to the motor. This one is a bit trickier, as you need to have the motor in its mounted position to work out the length. Same deal, measure to the slot in the wheel box and flare the end.

3.Follow the wiring guides -
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100414&hilit=wiper+wiring
https://ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=71385

Attachment:
2 speed wiper wiring.jpg

I had to run an additional wire from the motor to the switch, as my loom was for a single speed motor.

4. Connect wiring, check for both speeds, then mount the motor, and connect drive cable etc.

5. Check which side your motor parks on - you can change this by pushing the metal part of the gear forward and turning 180 degrees.

Attachment:
Wiper motor gear.jpg

Once you are happy you have it parking on the preferred side, put your wiper arms on.

As I said, this is what worked for me - can't guarantee the same will work for you, but I now have 2 speed wipers that sweep and park correctly!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
What side of the windscreen did you park the wipers? R.H. as per early minis?

I guess the issues with shortening the cable tubes applies only if you are going from the English motor to the Australian made Lucas motor?

Did you find new wiper boxes to use?
Thanks! Certainly was an adventure. I honestly thought I had it sweeping properly with the initial 2 speed motor I installed, maybe I just didn’t notice it over sweeping (not that I had much of a chance to drive it in the rain last year).

I have them parking on the right; tried the left but it didn’t provide enough coverage on the drivers side so I swapped it over and now it’s fine.

I didn’t have a single speed motor to start with, so decided to go down the 2 speed route - in hindsight maybe I should have just stuck with the single speed!

I was lucky in that I had wheel boxes / tubes for both round nose and clubman, but you can buy the 32 teeth wiper boxes new. I think you would need to shorten the tubes anyway, as the 32 teeth box is physically shorter than the 22 teeth box - and it seems the change in wheel box was the missing ingredient!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:17 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

At least your "How to" will work for anyone changing from the UK motor to the Austn. motor either 1 or 2 speed.

Also, the tubing is 5/16inch bundy tubing which is easily available, but will still need the flaring tool to do the ends.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:32 pm 
religious status
religious status

On a related note it's possible to convert the square non-parking Morris 850 etc motor to 2 speed or variable speed. I have done a few over the years by putting a variable resistor or a switched fixed resistor in series with the field wiring.

From memory, about 27 ohms gave about 2x the normal speed. But less torque.

Article was in popular mechanics or something 50 years ago.
I tried more recently to make it work on a square motor with park switch, however I'm not an electronics expert- I gave up.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]