Ausmini
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lookign at Mini Cooper S
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:18 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi guys we are after a Cooper S in either red / white or elctric blue/ white or black all over, the red and blue can have black roofs,

what year shall we avoid buying seen in another thread about early ones have more trouble etc, we have seen a 02/03 blue one going around for 29,999 private like to buy from a dealer so we can trade the modern cars in on it

Also some specs moon roof would be awesome, kits would be good as we are going to retro fit a JC kit

All help appreciated

Monaro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:49 am 
1275cc
1275cc

i would suggest you wait a year or two. the MINI is getting a new motor shortly, surrently it is fitted with a chrysler motor.... although these things are almost indisructable, they very hard to modify. the new motor will be one dsigned by BMW(NOT 100%) And will be Turbocharged not supercharged. Much Much more modifiable and very reliable.
Having said this, you may want one earlier, but take into consideration the devaluation of the current models, the older ones will be so much cheaper to get it when the new one comes out.

Cheers

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:39 pm 
848cc
848cc

Ignore advice about waiting for the new car and engine, it is a long way away and you would deny yourself a couple of years of fun.

Early cars had problems but all should have been fixed under warranty by now.
Best approach is to go to the local dealer (Motorline?) and drive a few, talk to QLD clubMINI owners they may know the history of cars the dealer has for sale.

If you can find a second hand car already fitted with the JCW kit then that would be a good buy as the kit seems to add nothing to resale value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

mcsmik wrote:
Ignore advice about waiting for the new car and engine, it is a long way away and you would deny yourself a couple of years of fun.

Anyone that would ignore the fact the car is going to get e new drive train when purchasing a car would be making a big mistake....
If you have money you want to burn, go for it, but us people that don't have cash to burn think before we buy.... :?

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:40 am 
848cc
848cc

Ah well Aaron I travelled 50,000Km in my first MINI Cooper and have racked up 46,000Km in its replacement MINI Cooper S so what would I know.

The MC had a few problems, all fixed under warranty, the MCS had a faulty glove box that was replaced under warranty

Tell me more about this requirement for a new drive train and the source of your information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:46 am 
1275cc
1275cc

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=212818

All i am saying mate, is that it would be very silly for anyone not to see where a car is going. If a new version of a car is brought out and it is better the old car's prices drop accordingly. so to buy one without having that knowledge and having the full story is just plain dumb.
You may have driven two MINI's for lots of K's, but you haven't driven the newest have you? :roll:
I would call this all common sense.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:43 am 
Postally Verbose
Postally Verbose

Settle down boys., :lol: I see what you both are saying. But I am with Aaron on this one :shock:

You would be crazy not to look at the future path of a new/newish car. the amount of money that can be lost is just stupid these days.

Just say you went and got a second hand car soon. then the new one comes out. BANG the old model drops a few $K. think that change in $$ valuse could still get the same car and another clasic mini to play with..

Looking and waiting is a dam good thing to do.. :wink:

My 1.76c worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:00 am 
848cc
848cc

Sorry Aaron, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that existing cars would need new drivetrains.

As for waiting just because there will be a new model out, well there will always be a new model just over the hill so by that reasoning no one would ever buy a new car. Not ust the MINI but Falcodores, Toyotas and the like as well. With the limited numbers sold in Australia the release of the new model is not likely to make much difference to values.

The factory is flat out and every car is being built to order, either a customers order or a dealers order, there is still an incredible demand and long waiting lists for the current model.

No I haven't driven the new model but I know someone who has and it will be just as good as the existing model and it may well change my mind about turbos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:41 pm 
848cc
848cc

OTOH, to some of us a BINI Cooper S is a supercharged car and we don't want no stinking turbo.

It is remote but also definately possible that the older cars might actually end up being more valuable - there are many current owners not impressed with the idea of a turbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

If you want some info on the new Mini have a look at the links below.
It has a different body design & completely different engine / drivetrain.

(I allso saw somewhere that Mercedes brought out Chrysler, so BWM cant get the original engines made anymore.)

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/03/20/next_generation_mini_revealed

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/09/13/the_mini_wagon_concept_-_in_depth

http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/12/14/ ... _in_detail

[/url]

As for the devaluation of the cars, I cant see this becoming an Issue as the new models will make the Original BMW Mini Copper S a collecters car. (or at least the engine) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:31 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I would agree the supercharged MINI would become much more collectable and prices would reflect accordingly

2002 JCW Cooper
2003 JCW Cooper S