Ausmini
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

2 S's & a clubman wrote:
Volkswagon Golf GTI, don't bother with that BMW crap.

Doogie

do you feel better now? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:08 pm 
High heel ninja

I've said since they came out that they are a over priced heap of crap, and im not going to change my opinion either, i've driven a John Cooper Works car recently & got out of it disappointed. For the money they are asking for them there are SO many better buys out there, examples Golf GTI, WRX, Ford Focus RS. My 15 y/o Galant VR4 could run rings around a Cooper S easily.

Doogie

Hay, it's not about the car, it's not about the venue, it's about the people that come here. Peter Dwyer, Mayor of Hay NSW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

2 S's & a clubman wrote:
I've said since they came out that they are a over priced heap of crap, and im not going to change my opinion either, i've driven a John Cooper Works car recently & got out of it disappointed. For the money they are asking for them there are SO many better buys out there, examples Golf GTI, WRX, Ford Focus RS. My 15 y/o Galant VR4 could run rings around a Cooper S easily.

Doogie

there are a great many cars that I have no time for but I do not post my distaste for them on their owners forums, that would be just bad manners and ultimately would reflect badly on me rather than on the car

remember; it is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to speak up and confirm it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

mcsmik wrote:
2 S's & a clubman wrote:

Doogie

there are a great many cars that I have no time for but I do not post my distaste for them on their owners forums, that would be just bad manners and ultimately would reflect badly on me rather than on the car

remember; it is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to speak up and confirm it

ther'es a thread in here somewhere clubmans vs roundies, and someone has posted that the clubman/roundy rivalry is the worst thing about the Mini community. Well it used to be 15 years ago. but by far the biggest scurge effecting the Mini community now is this Bini Bashing crap.

there are an awful lot of mini owners who don't bother with the so called community because they happen to also own a MINI, and every time they attempt to particiapte in their "community" they come up against this sort of rubbish.

There is a very healthy MINI community which openly embraces all car entusiast including owners of the old Mini. Its unfortunate in my view that the growing numbers of minis that are part of the MINI community are not made welcome here. Shame on you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:18 pm 
High heel ninja

You don't know me, correct!!!!

I spaek my mind no matter what, i have a good mate who has also been replying to this post in the form of Mr G, he & i are very alike, we both speak or minds then get on with it.

So if you think im a fool, good luck to you, i won't sleep any different tonight.

Doogie

Hay, it's not about the car, it's not about the venue, it's about the people that come here. Peter Dwyer, Mayor of Hay NSW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:12 am 
848cc
848cc

2 S's & a clubman wrote:

Doogie

blah blah blah.

I was about to type a big reply but cbf. Nothing I say will change the negativity of some towards the BINI. Sure, continue to spread your bile under the guise of speaking your mind (because we all need to know what is on your mind), and drive us away.

Hooray for you, you win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:56 am 
1098cc
1098cc

yeah correct we dont know you and by your attitude im glad I dont. I must say thank you to you though mate, because its prats like you who spurred us to start clubMINI and now we dont have to put up with nonesense from uneducated twits with their "that's not a real mini"

I dont see anyone asking you to buy one, if you dont like them so be it but dont be coming posting your crap here mate. FYI my JCW will piss on any golf gti any day of the week, and has done so many times.

2002 JCW Cooper
2003 JCW Cooper S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:39 am 
1098cc
1098cc

i think in the most part the camaraderie amongst old mini owners comes from the fact that they dont work well without some serious TLC and knowhow...

the clubman v roundnose debate is just a wank...arguing for arguments sake...but i think with the new mini there is a fair bit of resistence to them coz:
a) they JUST work (as do most modern cars)
b) they are in more than one way (mostly not bad) not really in the spirit of the old mini...

personally i dislike the new mini (bini) coz:
a) its too expensive for what it is
b) its a beamer with a chrysler engine
c) due to modern technology and crumple zones etc its a fair bit bigger than the original
d) as with most modern cars its not as tactile an experience as driving an older car

alot of these things are personal preference...i am not asking all people to follow these...but they are the reasons i wouldnt buy one :)

as for my '66 deluxe (before i started the conversion) i cursed its name more times than i can remember when it just wouldnt work...i have been so pissed off at that car that its managed to worm its way into my heart and now i just love it :) i just cant imagine a modern car being that way to anyone...perhaps i am wrong :)

1966 Morris Mini DeLuxe FOR SALE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:46 pm 
848cc
848cc

well firstly thanks for posting something so balanced. Unlike some people you have obviously composed your post with some thought. I'll try to do the same. :lol:

Quote:
i think in the most part the camaraderie amongst old mini owners comes from the fact that they dont work well without some serious TLC and knowhow...

you may be right. I'd never really considered that. its true also that these days the New Mini out number the old greatly, so the old mini is a far more exclusinve club. you really can't be part of the old mini thing unless you love them, (with and because of all their little faults) whereas with the new one you can own and drive one without ever really being part of any community. That used to happen once of course with old minis. I can remember hospital car parks being full of them. nurses woud never wave though.

Quote:
the clubman v roundnose debate is just a wank...arguing for arguments sake...but i think with the new mini there is a fair bit of resistence to them coz:
a) they JUST work (as do most modern cars)
b) they are in more than one way (mostly not bad) not really in the spirit of the old mini...

well the spirit thing is debateable but i see where you're coming from.

Quote:
personally i dislike the new mini (bini) coz:
a) its too expensive for what it is
b) its a beamer with a chrysler engine
c) due to modern technology and crumple zones etc its a fair bit bigger than the original
d) as with most modern cars its not as tactile an experience as driving an older car

alot of these things are personal preference...i am not asking all people to follow these...but they are the reasons i wouldnt buy one :)

and there's is nothing wrong with not liking them. what a boring world it would be. what I have the problem with here is unintelligent responses like " mate, you're car sux. your car is an imposter. BINI crap" that sort of rubbish is offensive. Its ok to have an opinion, but its not ok to be offensive about it.

Quote:
as for my '66 deluxe (before i started the conversion) i cursed its name more times than i can remember when it just wouldnt work...i have been so pissed off at that car that its managed to worm its way into my heart and now i just love it :) i just cant imagine a modern car being that way to anyone...perhaps i am wrong :)

No I don't think you're wrong. I love my modern car but for different reasons. oddly they are similar to the reasons I loved my first mini (which was 6 years old when i got it) but as the old mini gets older I can accept that love affairs will grow with the the pure obstinance of the little bastard to do the right thing. At the time I thought i hated that about my minis. In hindsight its probably what i loved the most about them.

minis do have a personality, and when they're a bit fickle its easier to get to know them. our cars (MINIS) have personality too, but they're different, and I accept that not everyone will recognise it.

the thing is that most of the people who, like you, don't like the new MINI, have the respect to still accept their owners as part of society. But i have seen people turn their backs on New MINI owners and refuse to talk to them simply because of their choice of car. So me, as an old mini owner and lover for over 20 years, am made to feel unwelcome in a community that i should be very much a part of because of the mindless xenophobic behaviour of a few people. It's dividing the mini community, and whether you like the car or not, the sooner the rest of you realise it and start stamping it out the better off we'll all be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:22 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

well said Mr G

2002 JCW Cooper
2003 JCW Cooper S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:55 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

agreed :) i think that you guys (and gals) have yer work cut out for you though...in terms of finding acceptance within the old mini community...

when you buy (or by some other means obtain) an old mini, whether you are mechanically inclined or not, you are taking on a responsibility to keep a piece of motoring history on the road and alive for atleast a few years...and through this unwritten agreement you gain atleast some measure of respect...

today there is almost nothing mechanically fantastic about the old minis...they handle pretty well for an old car...and go OK for an old car (lots of room for improvement)...and the original ones (roundnoses) are pretty damn rudimentary on the inside...all mine had was a speedo :P so pretty much every drive is an adventure...i remember every time i went for a drive and nothing broke (and also times when it did break) it was the stuff of legend...told and retold over beers with mates...you hate it when it breaks...but when it doesnt (and sometimes even when it does) you love it all the more...and you feel like you've triumphed over some great adversary...modern cars can be loved (this i will never dispute as it is invariably true) but i argue that its possibly not the same kinda love...

the fact it is such a dodgy car (especially in its old age) brings people together...and the fact new mini owners dont have to go through this creates a fairly large barrier coz you havent been there and havent had the same troubles...perhaps when the new mini is 30+yrs old it will be the same :)

in closing: the new mini is by far and away SUPERIOR in almost every way to the old mini...but thats not why we love the old mini :) and perhaps that is the root of the problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

yeah i get that. I understand what you are saying. But Don't forget I am still an owner of an old mini. Since 1984 There has only ever been one month in september 1991 when I didn't own one.

But there's one thing I don't get. I can own an old mini and drive to work every day in a corlloa (or a galant VR4) and that's OK, but the minute I choose A MINI instead of the corolla, that's when the snubbing starts. I'll never get that.

Post subject:
1275cc
1275cc

Hi there Mr G, great little meeting spot there. do you guys go for a drive after somewhere? Will try and get there if i can, but only here for a few more weeks. love that road.
Wont be able to make the terrigal BBq cruise either tomorrow, got our flat open inspection in the morning.
have a good run
shane

Post subject:
848cc
848cc

inazuma_x wrote:
...the fact it is such a dodgy car (especially in its old age) brings people together...and the fact new mini owners dont have to go through this creates a fairly large barrier coz you havent been there and havent had the same troubles...perhaps when the new mini is 30+yrs old it will be the same :)...

ahh but many of us MINI owners have owned Minis; long before we owned MINIs and we do know and appreciate just how you feel about your Minis.

For most of us MINI owners the obsession and devotion to our cars is just as great as it ever was to our Minis.

as Mr G said everyone can have an opinion it is how it is expressed that matters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:32 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Mr G wrote:
yeah i get that. I understand what you are saying. But Don't forget I am still an owner of an old mini. Since 1984 There has only ever been one month in september 1991 when I didn't own one.

But there's one thing I don't get. I can own an old mini and drive to work every day in a corlloa (or a galant VR4) and that's OK, but the minute I choose A MINI instead of the corolla, that's when the snubbing starts. I'll never get that.

well yeah...that doesnt make sense :P just tell em to f*ck off :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next