Ausmini
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hello,

I have a small problem with my Mini cooper S R53 at the moment .
I'm trying to reset few fault codes. It seems like the Ecu is noting connecting to obd 2 . I checked all the connection Fuse and wires seems ok with no luck.
I Google it regarding this matter and seems like lots of people have the same problem Ecu is not connect with OBD with no answer.

Any help is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 pm 
998cc
998cc

A couple of suggestions.

Are you using a serial or USB port to connect to the car?
Not all INPA cables are created equal.
INPA is factory production line software that has "Escaped" from the factory.

1/ You must always use the same USB port that you setup when you installed INPA - presuming this is what you are using.
It won't connect if you use a different USB port.
2/ Connect the car to your laptop before you start INPA and then select the car and then the system you wish to diagnose.

INPA as far as I know can only connect to cars built up to, IIRC, 2010.
For cars built after March 2008? you need an adaptor for the OBD 2 connector as BMW changed the OBD2 connector pin connections. Pins 7 and 8 where joined together and IIRC pin 8 was used for a LAN connection for new dealer hardware.

For cars built after 2010, ie F series BMW models, you need Rheingold software and I don't think this is backward compatible for earlier BMW models including MINI.

(I don't have a BMW Mini but I use INPA etc on another non MINI BMW)

If you go to these diagnostic/coding forums you may find more info.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/foru ... c-Software
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

They are not BMW MINI specific forums but the INPA software is used on all BMW cars including MINI.

Hope this helps
RonR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 am 
848cc
848cc

hello RonR,

Thank you for taking time to help me out.
I have ordered BMW INPA Hopefully it arrives soon .
But for some reason its not connecting with Bosh OBD II Diagnostic Connector or Cheap Ebay Bluetooth OBD II.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:30 am 
1275cc
1275cc

It wont connect on the Bosch as the 2002 -2004 Cooper S's ECU ares locked down to dealers... the INCPA will work on it... I also have a 2002 S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm 
998cc
998cc

Another software that should work is PA Soft, now known as BMW Scanner 1.4.
Apparently it had a name change some time ago.
This software can diagnose and reset errors in modules as well as code modules, but only if you have the "Full Working" version.
I don't have this software but it is supposed to be able to rewrite info in S/H modules so they can be coded again for a different car by resetting the module back to an un coded state.
Make sure you know what you are buying as some Ebay sellers use terms such as "possibilities of full version" so you don't really know what you are actually getting.
I'm not sure if this is "nudge nudge wink wink" to indicate it is the full version or not.
A demo version with limited functionality is/was available free from the BMW Scanner web site.

INPA usually only works under 32 bit Windows XP.
Don't throw out your old Windows XP laptop or PC
Some Ebay sellers have versions they claim will work on later versions of Windows so make sure you know what you are buying.

If you get INPA it usually comes with BMW coding software NCS and WinKFP.
NCS stands for New Coding System. WinKFP stands for Key?(My German is minimal) Function Programming.
(Key in this instance doesn't mean your car keys)
As far as I know WinKFP is for software updating if the pre-installed software needs changes.
It may also come with DIS, SSS etc which is the software the dealer uses to interrogate your car.
To set this up an a laptop you need to understand "virtual machines".

Forums sometimes refer to NCS Expert as if it is a different piece of software but it is just one of the different modes of NCS.
NCS can code the entire car at once, on a module by module basis, or in Expert mode to change an individual setting you want or don't won't.
EG: If you have automatic door locking at a specific road speed you can change this to a different speed.
What is coding?
This is setting the parameters of the already installed software to suit the car such as type of engine - petrol or diesel, No of cylinders, type of transmission etc.
When a new module is installed in a car it already has the software installed to suit any car that may have had that module fitted on the production line. If BMW didn't do this then they would literally have to have an individual spare part for each car sold.
Some electronic modules cannot be recoded to a different car as the original coding process uses part of the VIN number during the coding process and this info is also stored in another module for back up purposes. The coding process for a new module gets the info from the back up module. It can't do this if the S/H replacement module has already been coded.
BMW Scanner 1.4 can apparently recode the S/H modules back to an "As New" state.
There are a number of later versions after 1.4 but I don't think they work with Gen 1 BMW MINIs.
You also need a BMW Scanner specific cable but an INPA cable can be made to work but I don't know how this is done.
The forums I mentioned above have more info.

Hope this helps
RonR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

The early minis somehow are locked out for the simple OBD tools.

I one work ok on our 2004 but not work on my 2002-3 track car.

I ended up getting Bavarian software (I think that is what it was) and this worked.

Running a link G4 plus now so kind of a waste.