Ausmini
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Second Engine Steady
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:24 am 
1275cc
1275cc

G'day Everyone,
I'm wondering if there are any difficulties in adding a second engine steady to my car. I want to mount the conventional one from the thermostat to the heater hose plate on the bulkhead, just using the standard mounts off a Clubman. What I'm concerned about is the hydro pipe. Is this going to get in the way? It's a small bore engine by the way, I hear the 1275 used a different length steady bar.

I've now got a rod box but only one engine steady, and it has broken (ie, the bottom part of the mount on the bulkhead where the clutch and hydro pipes go through has broken away and needs welding - which I won't do till the engine is next out).

Cheers,
Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:06 pm 
religious status
religious status

Go get all the bits off a late Clubbie at the wreckers.
I'd put a decent plate inside the box section for the bolts, though- otherwise it can pull thru, as the one on our Clubbie did... :cry:
There's a hole there now I can put my fist into... :x so I'm about to weld a 5mm plate in there... 8)

Last edited by drmini in aust on Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:00 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I also have another question, not at all related to the first but anyway. How hard is it to replace the hydro helper springs? My car is almost on the bump stops up front but sits really high at the back. I reckon stiffer springs to pull the back down, and I'll wager my ones are pretty well stuffed. Will I have to pull the tank out? Not such a big deal as I have another (better) tank to install. Maybe I'll install competition rear bump stops at the same time to make it worthwhile.

I really want to make my car sit even though, and I'd like it to sit low all round, instead of low at the front and really high at the back. I have to make the car look top notch by December, because I'm taking somebody to their formal in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:30 pm 
998cc
998cc

The easiest and best support you can use for the bulkhead when using the second engine steady, is the front off a pedal box. It mounts straight in and it is solid. Comes complete with studs, does away with the need for an unwilling helper in the car to hold bolts. You can drill the 2 extra holes down the bottom if you want, but don't have to. Steve