Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: 123 electronic dizzy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Can I share my recent electronic distributor experience with the forum?

Soon after I purchased my 1972 1100 Clubbie I invested in an aftermarket electronic distributor with Hall effect pick up. The whole distributor not just the pick up. This was on the basis that I had convinced myself that a purely electronic contrivance with no moving parts was bound to be more reliable. Last week end while motoring in Camden, 50+ kms from home in Sydney, the car stopped without warning in the middle of town.

I quickly discerned that the problem was no spark and the likely culprit was the electronic distributor. Having managed to park the car I waited for the bus to get home. A beautifully restored battleship grey Mini van flashed past but the driver ignored my frantic waves.

I had removed the distributor held in place only by the one machine screw so I could match it to whatever I had at home, maybe what it replaced. On the train I had plenty of time and inspected the offender. Inside I found both wires to the pick up had been rubbing against the rotating central shaft and both had nearly worn through. No doubt the source of a short circuit.

At home I soldered in some new leads and anchored them with cable ties to stop it happening again. The car started enthusiastically at the first turn of the key.

I will leave the old mechanical distributor in the boot in case of another emergency.

Post subject: Re: 123 electronic dizzy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

I put an old Nissan Pulsar dizzy in my 850. Didn't take long to modify, couple of hours work

Cheap and easy fix