Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:05 pm 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

I'm going for the rear discs because I want all the stopping power I can get (I know that drums will lock the rears easy) but I want the brakes to be set and forget - no adjustment necessary until the pads need to be renewed. The engineer for the car didn't say they were needed but 'were a good idea' or something along those lines.

I'm not aware of too many rear disc designs. I only know of KAD which use their own calipers and david rosenthals conversion. I don't want to use weird calipers (want standard calipers off one type of car) or weird rotors. David Rosenthal's conversion is more along the lines of what I want to achieve but I was kind of hoping to be able to do it with a standard mini axle flange rather than having a centre nut that sticks a long way out from the flange like on the trailer stub axles. If you have any more suggestions of what people have done with rear discs I'd be open to hearing them.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 pm 
998cc
998cc

long time ago i started my rear discs this way

uses the mini flange like yours, and all spaced out to give the same wheel position as with drums.
calipers from a Saab and discs from a Volvo, cheap and easy to get parts over here.

never finished it ...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:12 pm 

mickmini wrote:

Check out Home Machine Shop Hall of Fame. We should start a separate thread.

Ive had a look through that website now and there is some nice setups that I'm envious of! Don't think my setup is quite worthy of getting put on that website.

I'm sure you'll enjoy having a lathe once you are up and running. It seems to me like the older lathes are still the way to go if you can find a good one. Let me know if I can be of any assistance but your estimation of $1500 seems pretty good for getting started with bits and bobs.

Cheers, Nick

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:21 pm 

Klas, seems like a very similar road! I have spaced mine out to give the same track as spaced drums. Looks like you were fairly close to having it sorted.

In other news, I have spoken to Tricky and I am using the right calipers (I was confused earlier when talking to him). He was going to use the Honda Civic rear calipers but the hand brake mechanism sticks out from the back of the caliper a long way and would've fouled the subframe too much (one side more than the other - don't know why as all the measurements check out). In order to get around this, he got some Skyline rear calipers which are the ones I have been making brackets for as they aren't as deep. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the brackets tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:38 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I think "GTImini" (I think that's his name on here) may sell or make a full kit for front and rear disc brakes off a Suzuki Swift GTI.
His and Davids "Magna" rear disc brakes are all I can think of now.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:28 am 

Kennomini wrote:
I think "GTImini" (I think that's his name on here) may sell or make a full kit for front and rear disc brakes off a Suzuki Swift GTI.

I forgot about those ones. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:26 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Really good stuff Nick and sorry about the confusion...

Should have left you a note or something!! Silly me... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:46 pm 

Don't worry about it Tricky. All good. Turns out I did build brackets for the right ones after all and now I just have to hope they fit within the wheels without scraping. I have pushed the calipers as far as I can in towards the hat of the rotor so the cooling fins may have to be ground off at a later date. I was confused on the phone with you because when I said bigger I meant width but you were talking about the length of the civic calipers. I think its all good now but I will need to bolt them all together to be able to really tell if I need to do a little adjustment here or there.

In other news: I didn't manage to find the right type of bolts today so I didn't finish them off. I want socket head bolts (UNC allen key ones) but couldn't find any other than the flimsy chinese steel variety. Hoping to drill some holes and counter bore them into the body of the bracket for a more flush look. Will have to wait until I'm off of work next.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:00 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

What size bolts Nick, if you cant find them I will send some to you!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:17 pm 

Don't worry about it Tricky. I ran out of time today so I have other places available but I'm due to fly out tomorrow morning for work (need to earn some more $$$). Will worry about it when I return home. Thanks for the offer though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:12 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

What flares did you end up with?
I've just bought a set for mine and they're a pretty terrible fit...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:57 pm 

Honestly I can't remember mate. I know we ended up getting two sets because tricky was really unimpressed with the fit of the first set.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:53 am 
1275cc
1275cc

IIRC they were Sportspak arches from Huddersfield I think (????)......

There is a really big discrepancy with quality, size and fit in the arches from the UK, the first set were just an abomination, and would have taken many more days to make them fit right!! Better off to get a good set, pay a bit more upfront, but save money in the fit-up!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:04 am 

Hey everyone. I've decided I'm going to sell this. I haven't touched it in ages. Change of life / wife / other projects have been in the way and I can barely keep up with maintenance on my 6 other vehicles. Planning on selling everything that I've bought to go with it if its not attached to the car except for the force wheels (not currently sitting on those anyway). I've decided I want the garage space more than anything right now so PM an offer if you're interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6